Old guy Old Rabbit---both Happy.

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

Bruce
Cetane Booster

Bosch manual

Post by Bruce »

Hagar : What do you think of the Bosch injector pump manual posted by Steve. What a find eh?
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Old guy Old Rabbit.

Post by hagar »

Bruce and ALL : about I P I say get all you can get. --from any source ---I think I did look at that one --and I like it. ----When I was a first year apprentice (a joke) I joined the " PUMP GANG " at Dan's.-------- that was worth every minute.

I was quoted 5000 dollars C for a new pump for my 1982 1.6L NA ---that did it.

By the way Andrew in Flagstaff can lead you to ---really good homepages.----with I P informatin . BUT do not expect overhaul books.

WARNING : fooling around with BOSCH 107 --type pumps is highly addictive.---BUT a lot of FUN.

hagar.
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Old guy Old Rabbit.

Post by hagar »

Here is a bit more that I learned on the Highway of Fun. : Rabbits are super sensitive to fuel. first and most important --LUBRICATION. ---then CETANE number then VISCOSITY.

That was the BAD news ---here is the GOOD news. ---if you read this ? you can correct all three.
simple as APPLE PIE and Cider..

NOW if you do the lubrication --the "Hillbilly TUNING" way --then the viscosity is taken care of. --and part of the Cetane number ParoWax is high Cetane.. about 50.-----REAL diesels are tolerant to Fuel -------VW Diesels 1977 to 1984 ---are NOT.. My inf. from Germany say minimum --MINIMUM 55.
I have a small Kubota four cylinder in a Bobcat ---743 ? ---and Straight from Kubota ---minimum 55.

ExxonMobil and Shell Oil say the supply 40 as a minimum.(in Kanada). -- to test gasoline for OCTANE number ? Apple Pie. ---to test Diesel fuel for CETANE number.? ---next to impossible. --I do have a simple test engine here -but that requires a big calibrated sample. --it works good for comparing two samples.---if it isreally low --yes I know. Shell from the tarsands that am using has a good number..

hagar.
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Old guy Old Rabbit.

Post by hagar »

Viscosity ? ---if you have a Rabbit ? --- better get to know viscosity.

Since I am in the process of talking FUEL ? --lets talk about fuel. If we can adjust viscosity of lube ? it stands to reason that Fuel Oil can be adjusted --EH ?. and it can be --read my lips --I do it every day..

Wax is solid at room temperature ? so if you stick a pure paraffin Candle in a gallon of skinny Fuel ?---does that increase viscosity ? ---you will be amazed.

hagar.
lyeinyoureye
Turbo Charger

Post by lyeinyoureye »

Does the wax dissolve at some rate (until the viscosity reaches a maximum?) into the diesel, will it mix evenly?
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Old guy Old Rabbit.

Post by hagar »

Saga of the wax-job -- Does the wax dissolve at some rate (until the viscosity reaches a maximum?) into the diesel, will it mix evenly?

Answer to lyeinyoreye and all.---------take a sample of fuel out of Bunny Bondo , and you would never know the wax was added.---it totally dissolves ----and feels right at home. Remember it came from there in the first place.-----I have many other diesels and I dreamed up this solution many years ago --long time before getting familiar with Rabbits.

BUT as it turned out ---the VW diesels 1977 to 1984 ----needed lubrication in the fuel.

Wax and diesel fuel and Kerosene and Jet fuel will mix in any ratio a gallon of wax to a drop of fuel ? --YES. a gallon of Fuel and a drop of Wax ? yes.

Why did I start using ParoWax ? ---I could no longer get paraffin oil in 20 litre buckets.---works great.

Did I try 2 cycle oil and so on ? (yes)-it -will not increase viscosity enough --it lubricates just fine . Stanadyne fuel additive ? yes again it does not do a good job on viscosity. --- Wax is very cheap and very low ash. Perfect fuel should be NIL ash.

more on my next posting.

hagar.
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Old guy Old Rabbit.

Post by hagar »

I should really stay on FUEL --EH ? ----But I just looked at a blotter test for Bunny Bondo dated june o7 2006.----incredible what running super lean can do to a Rabbit.

Volks lore has it that diesel lube is BLACK ----oh yeah ? .does NOT have to be..

I am going to qoute ---ESSO Imperial Oil "Under the hood". Q: Soot in your lube is like sandpaper in suspension. end of Q.

Like I said many times ----best fuel ? --NIL ash best lube ? NIL ash .-----that is a lofty target.

IMPOSSIBLE ? you say ? ---thou know not hagar.

hagar.
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Old guy Old Rabbit.

Post by hagar »

more on WAX -----it is found in the kitchen --it is a fantastic product ---can be used on our skies and Zippers and drawer slides --on wood-screws in hardwood--like Oak .-----and more.

Rabbits like it ----the BOSCH 107 pumps and ParoWax ? --perfect combination. Life of diesel fuel ? 6 month---Wax ? infinite. ----like one aspirin may save your life ? one birthday candle in a tankful may save your I P.----very impressive EH ?. ---there is NO such thing as too much lube in I P.--BUT one candle short may cost us. --SO ? I use lots. ----FAQ's how do I mix ?--I heat it..---FAQ :how do I adjust ? ---simple a small sample in freezer and I adjust the cloud point.----hell even a caveman can do it --EH ?
I pay 3 to 4 dollars for 450 gram----that will do more than 1000 litre. On my birthday cake ? I insist on 74 pure refined paraffin candles ---then watch me BLOW ---then they go straight to Bunny Bondo.--WOW.

My outlaws in Seattle WA are all well to do ---and they put more candles in the garbage than I use----shame on them.

hagar.
bwv
Diesel Freak

Post by bwv »

Image_________Image__________Image
__1986 [A2] Golf 1.6L, 170,000_____1988 F250, 7.3 Navistar, 197k_____1984 Ford 1510 diesel, 2222 hours
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Old guy Old Rabbit.

Post by hagar »

coke asked me for a little help TUNING his 1990 Jetta ...SO? how can I refuse ?-EH.?

My experience tells me that 99 % of Rabbits lacking Power and Smilegage ?---the roller ring does not advance 12 degrees. ---the pumps wear at a slow rate --so it has to be checked. ----if it is 11 degrees ? it is marginal ---and can be corrected by increase in Viscosity of fuel.-----how to know ? simple as apple Pie.

I got 10 or 15 feet of 3-eight's fuel line ---do a test on high viscosity fuel ? ---if she perks right up ? you know it may be the I P.. It usually is.--fear NOT the I P may be good for years of driving yet.

In the lines a supersonic pulse is used with a transducer on line # 1---and a timing light.----BUT that is lots of MULA ? so we find cheaper ways ---EH ? --and we did.

hagar.
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Old guy Old Rabbit.

Post by hagar »

Kanola oil ? --ok Canola oil ---at first make Rabbit go like stink ? EH ?----why ? VISCOSITY. ---and it is a good lubricant and high CETANE. ----BUT ? ---in the long run ? it gums up everything.----for a Saga about Kanola read ALL of Sandy Cameron on Dan's. ----did I test it ? for sure -for sure .right out of the fridge ---RIMINI----from James Hansen land (Dan's again)----great for a diesel Rabbit.---BUT be careful

This is a good time to mention , that I am here for the HAVE NOT --the well of do NOT need me..
So most of my promulgation's are aimed that way --OK ?.

As a Soccer nut ? right now ? I have a distraction----Poland down by one.

Can we make DO ? ----we can indeed----not me I have all the fancy stuff right at my fingertips.

Pure refined Wax ----will NEVER gum up the works.---you get it ? that way it goes on the FOOD bill.------ and your wife will not know.----I think of it as a WIN WIN..

hagar.
1.6D-Nut
Turbo Charger

Post by 1.6D-Nut »

Hello Hagar.
I've been reading this thread with great interest, and have responded a few times. Thank you for all the great information.
I have a question.
If I buy some Parowax,how much should I disolve per gallon or tankful of fuel?
Thank you in advance,and keep the good info coming!
Always 3-5 A1's on hand!
'84 TDI-M GTI w/ALH and VNT,in the works!
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Saga

Post by Fatmobile »

I think that is one of the questions Coke PMd Hagar.
His response was to put the mix in the freezer and see how much wax it will hold before it starts to cloud things up.
FAQ :how do I adjust ? ---simple a small sample in freezer and I adjust the cloud point.----hell even a caveman can do it --EH ?

My car seems to have more power on vegetable oil than on diesel. Maybe it's the viscosity.
1.6D-Nut
Turbo Charger

Post by 1.6D-Nut »

Fatmoblie....Thanks.
I did read that, about the small sample in the freezer.
I'm sure hagar has found out how much wax is too much,that's why I asked....to get some sort of baseline number.
I guess I'll try a 1/2 gallon of diesel in a one gallon milk jug, and add some wax,an ounce (by weight) at a time until it clouds,then back off.
Then I can do the math,and see what happens.
All for now.
Always 3-5 A1's on hand!
'84 TDI-M GTI w/ALH and VNT,in the works!
coke

Post by coke »

So hagar, you are using diesel fuel and parafin / parowax in your fuel. You still using the avaiation oil to keep the oil from darkening, or does the wax/diesel combination keep the oil clean?