Old guy Old Rabbit---both Happy.

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

Bruce
Cetane Booster

IP internal pressure

Post by Bruce »

QUOTE:How do I adjust internal pump pressure ?----most of it is simple ---the return-spring is a bit tricky. I dip it in acid to weaken it. ----I have not used it so far but I have a needle valve to slow down return flow. it is used after the orifice.

Hagar: I guess you are talking about the spring on the pressure return valve which is opposite the fuel return line banjo bolt at the front end of the IP . It looks like it requires a special tool or perhaps a needle nose visegrip to remove it. Increasing the spring pressure would increase the pump pressure also the BOSCH manual says the overflow restriction screwed into the return line banjo bolt is matched in size to the pressure control valve. You are adding a needle valve in line after this. Am I correct ?
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Old guy Old Rabbit.

Post by hagar »

" GANGS " ? --yes ---the most important is the pump gang. ---why do I mention ? ---because I do NOT want to take credit for --something I did NOT dream up.

The pump gang is a number of Diesel Lovers who --POOL their experience ---Andrew from Flagstaff is one --I am one----Loren is one --Hell if you do not know LOREN ? ---get busy.

Would I like to name ALL the pump gang members I know ? ---bet your butts. ------it is NOT possible.---so I will mention the most important ones that I know about. ----later.

Yes the " GANG " ---has done it ALL. ------go for a ride in Bunny Bondo ---that will convince you.

hagar.
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Old guy Old Rabbit .

Post by hagar »

bruce and ALL : I flunked ENGLISH 101---- so be KIND. ? OK ?.

The spring in Acid is the Timing piston return spring----not the coil spring in the pressure control valve---

Now do NOT forget the FUN ? --EH ? --if you do not like doing it ----? ---do not fool around with Rabbits.

Let me tell you ALL --if you fall in love with Rabbits like hagar did ? --you will NEVER NEVER complain.

hagar.

PS : -----NEVER.
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Old guy Old Rabbit.

Post by hagar »

14 july 2006 --and 78 a barrel ? --EH ? --sounds GOOD to me and Bunny McGee.-----OK Bunny Bondo.

Those of you living in 115 F area better do a WAX test on the pump.----NO tools needed.

If you know of a better cheaper test --let us know. ---- BUT do not poo poo the WAX.-------the WAX drives you and the extra mileage got to be taken in to cosideration , when calculating cost.

more WAX talk on the way from hagar.

hagar.
bwv
Diesel Freak

Post by bwv »

If you know of a better cheaper test --let us know. ---- BUT do not poo poo the WAX.-------the WAX drives you and the extra mileage got to be taken in to cosideration , when calculating cost.
I have completed my first experiment with wax in my fuel tank.

--I melted 75 grams of wax into 14 gallons of diesel fuel (a full tank).

--I refilled my tank last night with 12.965 gallons of fuel, after having driven 650.3 miles, about 200 of those miles with the A/C running, and averaging between 50 and 65 mph in mostly highway driving.

--That averages out to a little more than 50 mpg, which is at least 5 to 7 mpg better than anything I could have gotten without adding wax.

Here is my question: can I get even better mileage by increasing the amount of wax in the fuel?

Thanks
Image_________Image__________Image
__1986 [A2] Golf 1.6L, 170,000_____1988 F250, 7.3 Navistar, 197k_____1984 Ford 1510 diesel, 2222 hours
Asymtave
Diesel Freak

Post by Asymtave »

My interpretation of Hagar's "Hillbilly Tuning" is that there is no set formula because every single one of these cars (at current age and mileage) is different.

So - a foundation of "Hillbilly Tuning" is try it and see what happens. Make only one adjustment at a time, carefully observe (which you're obviously doing) and take notes. Then please report out so that all can benefit. Unfortunately I simply don't put enough miles on my truck to experiment and contribute much.

Since viscosity seems to be at the heart of this all I have a question for anybody running WVO that is following along: Do you see any of these benefits over straight Dino diesel when running WVO? Heating the oil thins it, but even at 160 F it is still thicker than diesel. (I think) I reported above that adding a gallon or so of used engine oil seemed to make the truck run better, but mileage results are pending (takes me a loooong time to burn up a tank.)

Eric
81 Pickup
91 Eco Jetta
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Old guy Old Rabbit.

Post by hagar »

The very essence of "Hillbilly TUNING" ? --not one Rabbit left behind.

So if you do not have a Dial indicator , a Machinist caliper or a Compression gauge ? ----get it ? ----if you have a Rabbit and a BRAIN ? --nothing to stop you. ?--EH ?.

Take hagar strip him bare naked and dump him anywhere on Highway 101 from Mexico to Lund BC ---and watch.---would he go to the welfare office and Sally Ann ?--or go begging ?---- ---He would BORROW a pair of pants from a clothesline.--? YES. ---and later buy the guy a pair of brand new ones .

WHY 101 ? ---I can survive there anytime. --and have a good time. ---might even drop in on LOREN at Pacific Beach.? --EH ? would that be a gas.?.

With crude headed for 80 a barrel ---go hug your Rabbit ---man wake up.

When I hagar was quoted 5000 dollars Kanadian for a I P for my 1982 1.6L .NA Rabbit--- that did it.
Hagar rolled up his sleeves----and when he does ? --get out of the way.

hagar.
coues7
Cetane Booster

Post by coues7 »

Well I put 450grams (1 US lb) in 14 gallons of fuel.....I hope like hell I don't screw something up....Prior to adding this I was averaging about 48 mpg.

Well hagar now you got everybody trying wax....what do we do next?
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Old guy Old Rabbit.

Post by hagar »

I am delighted to see you guys are trying the WAX job----you will never be sorry.---450 grams of WAX ? a lot of money ? --- --this is a one time TEST.

I shall let you all know --how to read the results of this test.----It is really quite simple.
1. if you notice NO difference ? ---wow you got a really good pump.-

2. Now if she starts to go like crazy with NO smoke ? ---your pump needs attention.-----.and she smoked before ? ----get it ?

I will be back.

hagar.
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Old guy Old Rabbit.

Post by hagar »

Do NOT worry ---no harm can be done by too much WAX ---the more --you feed her ---the better she likes it.
WE are talking summertime only. ---it is not HOT out there ? ---you must be in Alaska. ?-

Let me tell you ----if you have a really bad pump ? ---the WAX job will blow your socks off. -----If I had not done it here ---I would have some doubts-----BUT I know what happened. ----and it may happen to you.

hagar.
lyeinyoureye
Turbo Charger

Post by lyeinyoureye »

Hagar, what if it's summer time year round, can I use all the wax I want to? I usually don't see much lower than 4C right before sunrise.

Asymtave, from what I've gathered, as long as it's in the ~140-160 degree range, when the pump compresses it enough to break the injectors it'll also heat it up and decrease viscosity as well, will it be enough, well, that's kinda tricky... someone who's well versed in pump internals can probably anwser that for you. As for mileage, from I've heard WVO isn't as dense as diesel No2, so you might see a drop of a few mpg.
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Old guy Old Rabbit.

Post by hagar »

hagar on hagar the Horrible-----what does hagar think about himself ? ---- well he does NOT lack self esteem.--that is for sure.

Was he ever locked up in Ward # 6 (The loony bin) ? yes indeed. ---Was it a good experience ? --it was fantastic --let me tell you all . I was under the care of Professor. Helvias ---København Danmark.

At that time (about 1950) all the NUT cases wound up in that ward.-----it was a Big Ward.----what a gas.

So did I learn something ? ---all the money in the world could not BUY an education like THAT. ---read my lips. ----and YES ,----I did learn a lot there. Do diesel fanatics wind up there ? --yes YES.
They may be NUTS but they sure know a thing or two about DIESELS. ---

Moral ? : what you think is NORMAL --is NOT the NORM.---- ok ok if you think a lot --then it does not apply to you.

hagar.

PS : after the loony bin --where did I go ? ---officer school times 2 ---RDAF and USAF. ---go figure ? EH ?---what a trip.
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Old guy Old Rabbit.

Post by hagar »

WHY am I here ? --- good question. ----Gary Bangs in Florida and I was discussing that issue ---some time back.
We pondered the question - " WHY DO WE HELP EACH OTHER " ? ---we wound up agreeing ------------ because " IT MAKES SENSE ".

A minute ago I had a phone call from Val Christian in Rochester NY ---he is the only person that I know , who got a brand new Rabbit Diesel in 1977. ----that means hands on experience. ---- He was the guy who told me that there was NO key in Camshaft sprocket ----yeiks --the cam has a key-way. Further he had one slip --- one that was done by VW. -----I ran down and torqued all mine to 45 foot pounds torque. ---I slept better at night after that.---Ever heard about valves kissing pistons ?----NO ? you will read my lips.
My new saying is ---The whole ball of WAX.

hagar.
libbybapa
Turbo Charger

Post by libbybapa »

-
Last edited by libbybapa on Sun Jan 01, 2012 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1.6D-Nut
Turbo Charger

Gasser Lift Pump

Post by 1.6D-Nut »

I really like the idea of a Gasser fuel pump as a lift pump!
VW seems to have taken a short cut by not including one.
Most, if not all, other Auto Mfg'rs use one.
If I get some free time I believe I'll try it. Thanks!
Always 3-5 A1's on hand!
'84 TDI-M GTI w/ALH and VNT,in the works!