Red-Tek Refrigerant works!

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

kayakwesty
Cetane Booster

Red-Tek Refrigerant works!

Post by kayakwesty »

I use to have to turn my a/c off when climbing hills or wanting to pass, or to start the car.

I installed Red-Tek this weekend and now my car has more power due to lower head pressures and my a/c now blows even colder than when I had the 134-A. You can hang meat in the car now ...BRRRRRRR!

For a car that only has 48hp...this stuff has been a God-Sent, and my operating temps have lowered 10 degrees to boot...and I can travel in rush hour traffic with more power and I can't wait to check my MPG next couple of tanks...

here is where to get it

http://www.redtek.com/techinfo.html

here are some pics (a thread without pictures in useless right?)

[/img]http://kayakwesty.smugmug.com/photos/18 ... -M.jpg[img]

[/img]http://kayakwesty.smugmug.com/photos/180781594-M.jpg
http://home.earthlink.net/~mark.cumnock/id25.html

1991 1.6L Jetta 176,459 miles

1984 2.0 ABA Conversion Westfalia Vanagon 157,000 body 20,200 miles motor and transmission
surfcam
Turbo Charger

Post by surfcam »

In the technical data they refer to Red-Tek being a hydro-carbon. That means anything from methane to paro-wax. My guess is that its a mixture of propane and butane. Why because propane boils off in the 50 below range and butane around freezing. So the butane would raise the over-all boiling point to make it work in the system. I don't have a problem with using it but car manufactures sure do. I run around in my motorhome all the time with three bottles of propane and lines and regulars and appliance all hooked up. Although I do have a propane and CO2 detector.
99 TDI Jetta (Z1 engine code)
94 Grand Caravan
89 Dodge Gold Stream B class
http://www.antiquedollhouseofpatterns.ca/
kayakwesty
Cetane Booster

Post by kayakwesty »

i don't care if it's nerve gas, this stuff works, my head pressures dropped 40 psi, I got more power and you can hang meat in the cab of the car..

life is good !
http://home.earthlink.net/~mark.cumnock/id25.html

1991 1.6L Jetta 176,459 miles

1984 2.0 ABA Conversion Westfalia Vanagon 157,000 body 20,200 miles motor and transmission
Gearhead
Cetane Booster

Post by Gearhead »

I read a bit of the site, and it cautioned against using propane and butane, as that was my first thought. I'll do some more reading.
'82 Rabbit 1.6D... for now.
3Bunnys
Turbo Charger

Post by 3Bunnys »

Red-Tek and Envirosafe ES-12 are both hydrocarbon refrigerants, a mix of approximately 80% propane and 20% butane......

They are a little more efficient than R-12 and way more efficient than R134... has to do with there boiling point and other technical specifications that I have forgotten..

And they are compatible with both R12 and R134 lubricants

And yes they are flammable, but you are using small amounts, also they have an "odor" add to them so you can detect a leak with your nose!!!

I believe they are both "legal" to use in Canada and in some but not all US states,, go read the lit....

I've used ES-12... AND it Works Great.....

Richard

ps .. the sweet thing about R12 was the amateur could add it until the bubbles disappeared from the sight glass,,, then you had the proper charge,, this other stuff requires gages!!!!
82 1.6 N/A
83 1.6 N/A
84 1.6 N/A
82 FORD 3610 Diesel Tractor
82 CASE 580D Loader/Backhoe w/Cummins
83 IH 274 Tractor w/Mitsubishi Diesel
88 Chevy C-70 w/Cat 3208
2000 Toro 223D Groundmaster w/Mitsubishi Diesel
2000 John Deere 4600
2003 MAGNUM Light Tower/6KW Generator w/Mitsubishi Diesel
2003 Mitsubishi Fuso Truck
Gearhead
Cetane Booster

Post by Gearhead »

Ahh, now I see it. It's in the wording. When I read that the first time it made me think that it was not butane and propane, but after reading, if it's not... It's very similar.

"this product is an Alkane /Hydrocarbon and comes from the same hydrocarbon family as propane and butane. It is extremely important to know that; Commercial propane and butane must not be used in an air conditioning or refrigeration system. These fuel grade products contain high volatility and variable compositions and impurities. "
'82 Rabbit 1.6D... for now.
3Bunnys
Turbo Charger

Post by 3Bunnys »

I believe these guys are using better grades of propane and butane,,,
Like hospital grade oxygen vice the cheap (well not so cheap) stuff my oxy-acytylene rig uses..
But whatever,,,, it works... Would I put a 20 pound container under the hood...no ... 12 ounces in the A/C system YES....
Explosions require the presence of fuel and air in just the right ratio plus spark.... Gas leaking out that ignites will only burn back to where it is leaking from... I don't worry about my actylene torch "blowing up" , the stuff only burns back to torch tip , inside the tip no oxygen/air present, no fire,,,
Richard
82 1.6 N/A
83 1.6 N/A
84 1.6 N/A
88 Chevy C-70 w/Cat 3208
2000 John Deere 4600
surfcam
Turbo Charger

Post by surfcam »

Alkane are single bond hydrocarbons. Just strait methane, propane, butane or another single bond hydrocarbon. I think their trying to differentiate between the isopropanes and isobutanes or some other substances. So really all their saying is that their using pure single bond hydrocarbon (propane and butane). Their just bring another word in to promote their product as being special or different.
99 TDI Jetta (Z1 engine code)
94 Grand Caravan
89 Dodge Gold Stream B class
http://www.antiquedollhouseofpatterns.ca/
82vdub
Turbo Charger

Post by 82vdub »

I posted it once, and I'll post it again. I wouldn't use a flamable mixture for a replacement for freon.

Sure, lot of people have commented that there's gasoline, oil, brake fluid etc all over the place on the car, so what's the big deal with using flamable substances for a freon replacement? To me, the huge difference is that it's flat out unsafe for one and only one reason - the refrigerant lines run into the passenger compartment! The fuel lines don't, oil lines don't, transmission cooler lines dont, and on and on. It's a flamable and explosive mixture being pumped right into the cabin you're riding in. One leak with the right conditions can lead to an explosive and deadly situation. IMHO, stay far away from using this.
Everybody else lists their cars here - but not me.

I have too many to count
dubdoc
Diesel Freak

Post by dubdoc »

Red-Tek is definitely not legal for use in Nova Scotia, and anyone who would run almost pure propane(99%) under the hood is begging for the "Big Bang", and that's no theory.
DC Stewart
Milford Station
Nova Scotia, Canada
JAMES ADKINS
Turbo Charger

Post by JAMES ADKINS »

I'm sorry to rain on anyones parade (BUT) if anyone thinks the potential fire can only burn back to source has'nt seen the training films I've seen of gas/oxy torches blowing apart due to a phenominum called flashback.Thats why there's flashback protectors that can be added on torches and if your using ANY torch without them your asking for it.As a side note the flashback travels at a speed faster than the speed of sound.Don't take my word for it look it up on line.Later dudes
3Bunnys
Turbo Charger

Post by 3Bunnys »

I hope you guys know that there are a number of folks running 100% propane under the hoods of their vehicles.....

One would be some of the local propane delivery trucks.... now there is a big bomb...

The other that I know of is Schwan's Frozen Foods, they run a delivery route delivering frozen food directly to your house, around here they all use propane powered trucks....

And I bet if you do a google search you can find propane conversion kits to run cars on,,, at one time it was cheaper to run on propane than gas......

Richard
82 1.6 N/A
83 1.6 N/A
84 1.6 N/A
88 Chevy C-70 w/Cat 3208
2000 John Deere 4600
dubdoc
Diesel Freak

Post by dubdoc »

It only takes 2.4% of propane in air to burn and 5-6% creates an explosion. The liquid propane in the system expands 270 times when released to air. You do the math and you'll see that a very small leak can produce a very large explosion.
16 oz of Red Teck will produce 172 Cubic Feet of highly explosive vapor.
A propane fuel system is a completely different system. It was designed and intended for propane use and has appropriate safety devices.
DC Stewart
Milford Station
Nova Scotia, Canada
A1-2-A3
Turbo Charger

Post by A1-2-A3 »

What about duracool, its another company that makes the little DIY cans. I forget what is in them though, probably the same. But I remember in 01 at tech school we used it on a guys car to show how little it took compared to 134a. We would never use it on semis they take 4lbs of 134a, would need lots of those cans around. I think on a average day in the summer I pump 8-12lbs of 134a into trucks(after fixing the leaks :) )
82vdub
Turbo Charger

Post by 82vdub »

3bunnys, as dubdoc also clarified, using propane for fuel is not as dangerous as using a propane type mixture for a freon replacement. The propane fuel line, just like the diesel or gas fuel lines, are kept outside the passenger compartment. While still dangerous (just like gas or diesel), the propane used for fuel remains outside the passenger compartment where propane used for freon does not. That is the key difference here. Propane, just like gas or diesel, is perfectly safe to use as an engine fuel source, when the sytem is properly installed. But, do not use a propane type mixture for freon replacement.
Everybody else lists their cars here - but not me.

I have too many to count