IP reseal sucessfull, pump still dry overnight!

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

dkmc
Cetane Booster

Post by dkmc »

Guys.....I haven't checked back here because I'm supposed to be notified of replies to this thread......but that works intermittently also......like the GP's. :lol:

So far, every start has been in a couple cranks.
I have wiggled the relay around in it's socket, seems to be FINE now!
I think 10.3 or 10.5 volts at the buss bar is about normal and fine for GP operation. Well, for a 15 year old diesel anyway....I think this one has the fuse in the fusebox. It looks 'new' to me, will inspect anyway. The battery
is the largest one I can fit in the tray, about 950 CCA's and new this spring. You can't pull 50 amps from the battery and expect it to maintain
near 12 volts can you? Especially after sitting all night and slightly discharging.

I see the fuel problem and leaks were probably not the cause of
the hard starting. But.....the leaks are fixed now anyway!

I wish I could find that thread about the 'external GP LED'........I searched but nothing came up specifically.

dk
82vdub
Turbo Charger

Post by 82vdub »

Everybody else lists their cars here - but not me.

I have too many to count
dkmc
Cetane Booster

Post by dkmc »

I read it.........
What the heck is a LED windshield washer nozzle?? :shock:
82vdub
Turbo Charger

Post by 82vdub »

I've wondered the same thing since that was posted. I googled it and come up with: http://www.jcwhitney.com/webapp/wcs/sto ... ogId=10101

If I was in highschool or hand teenage kids, I may have had a clue what this was before looking.
Everybody else lists their cars here - but not me.

I have too many to count
surfcam
Turbo Charger

Post by surfcam »

I install a GP light on my dash because I have a gas instrument cluster in my car and couldn't be bothered with trying to get the light to work in the cluster. Just run a wire up stream of the fuse on the firewall. Then get a fuse holder with 5 amp fuse. Then through the fire wall to a light on the dash. Then to ground and snap tie every thing down.
99 TDI Jetta (Z1 engine code)
94 Grand Caravan
89 Dodge Gold Stream B class
http://www.antiquedollhouseofpatterns.ca/
dkmc
Cetane Booster

Post by dkmc »

LED.....nozzles......NOW I get it!
That could be handy to install......

I just went out for lunch......and got a 'bad start'......no glow.
I wiggled the GP relay and it started good the second try.
Gotta look over the socket and maybe change the GPR itself....
CoolAirVw
Turbo Charger

Post by CoolAirVw »

dkmc wrote:You can't pull 50 amps from the battery and expect it to maintain near 12 volts can you? Especially after sitting all night and slightly discharging.
Your right, it will drop battery voltage while drawing amps (large load) from the glows. But if wiggling the relay fixed the problem then certainly the relay must have been dropping voltage due to high resistance in the connection. I wonder how much voltage is on the bus bar now that it starts?

FYI dielectric grease on the terminals prevents corrosion that causes connection issues.
Richard
85 Jetta TD
ASE Certified Master Auto-Technician with L1 Advanced Engine Diagnostic Rating and Light Diesel certification
ATRA Certified in Rebuilding, Diagnosing & Installing Transmissions

My Threads---> <a href="viewtopic.php?t=6255&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0" target="_blank">Rusty Floor Repair </a> ---- <a href="viewtopic.php?t=4923&highlight=" target="_blank">Oil Pressure Warning</a>----<a href="viewtopic.php?t=6632" target="_blank">Uploading Pictures</a>----<a href="http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php? ... t&p=730755" target="_blank">My Porsche 914</a>
dkmc
Cetane Booster

Post by dkmc »

I wonder how much voltage is on the bus bar now that it starts?
Well.....If I had to guess.....I'd say there was zero volts when it wouldn't start and then 10.5 or so when it did....

It's about the relay either not working at all or working like it should, not
low voltage to the GP's.