looking for a good post on Heater core replacement

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

bscutt
Turbo Charger

Post by bscutt »

FYI, the procedure above took me 7 hours with a friend helping. A good bit of that was figuring out what to do. Could probably do it the second time in 4 -5 hours and yes removing the seats would have made it easier - I didn't. Have since discovered that removing seats is the only way to go, did lots of work under the dash on my son's Corrado, could never have done it with the seats in.
Bob

'06 Jetta TDI
'82 Rabbit 1.6NA
Honda, 99 GMC Suburban, '41 Chevy Coupe
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

I am putting the 4 door "welding school" project back together so I pulled the heater box apart and cleaned all the mouse crap and smelly things out of it.
The foam wrapping everything was junk.
What should I replace it with?
I've seen some posts on the vortex that mention felt being included with a new heater core.
I hadn't thought of using cloth material instead of foam.
Just checking for suggestions; a good material that will insulate the flapper and seal around the core, that can handle the heat and not degrade for a long time.
'91 Golf gasser converted to a 12mm pump, M-TDI.
'84 1.6TD Rabbit with a VNT-15 turbo, still setup to run on vegetable oil.
'84 GTI with 1.7TD pistons and intercooled.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
CoolAirVw
Turbo Charger

Re: looking for a good post on Heater core replacement

Post by CoolAirVw »

kayakwesty wrote:looking for a good post on a Heater core replacement or website

My weekend project is to replace the heater core, rebulit the fresh air flaps and fix the odometer on my 1991 Jetta

I want heat this winter

Hey, take lots of pics and make a "How to" post to the "Technical Writeups" section.

You can conquer this beast and help others with their own battle against the leaky heater core! And at the same time win your place in the "Technical Writeup" hall of fame! Oh the honor and respect you'll have then.

Honor and respect??? I rebuilt the engine in my 85 jetta TD and the guys at work think I'm an idiot for dumping money into this car. Thats not honor and respect. Oh the Shame. :roll:
Richard
85 Jetta TD
ASE Certified Master Auto-Technician with L1 Advanced Engine Diagnostic Rating and Light Diesel certification
ATRA Certified in Rebuilding, Diagnosing & Installing Transmissions

My Threads---> <a href="viewtopic.php?t=6255&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0" target="_blank">Rusty Floor Repair </a> ---- <a href="viewtopic.php?t=4923&highlight=" target="_blank">Oil Pressure Warning</a>----<a href="viewtopic.php?t=6632" target="_blank">Uploading Pictures</a>----<a href="http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php? ... t&p=730755" target="_blank">My Porsche 914</a>
dieselsnowmobile
Diesel Freak

Post by dieselsnowmobile »

I just took the heater unit apart myself just minutes ago. To seal everything up, I use duct tape. It worked, but last year when I tape it up, I did not take the whole heating unit out. There is a crack on the back side that let cold air though. What ever you use, take the time to take the whole heating unit out (the dash does not have to come out, see http://www.vwclub.co.za/vwforum/viewtopic.php?t=39059 its an english car, so things are backwards). Once you take it out, make sure you patch this crack that I found was letting air by. This is looking in the side from the AC unit.

I patched with this. I filled in that crack my taping a zip tie in there and then put some more tape folded over to help deflect from the crack.

'89 1.6L NA Diesel Jetta (521,000 mi) w/ Rabbit Engine (230,000s mi)
'91 1.6L NA Diesel Jetta (1500 hrs since I have owned it)
'86 2.1L Gas Vanagon 7 passenger (123,000 mi)

YouTube Videos