rod bolt torque ect

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

CoolAirVw
Turbo Charger

rod bolt torque ect

Post by CoolAirVw »

Sorry to post this question but I'm at work and my bently is at home.

I was using Mitchell On-Demand for info but I've found a descrepancy. It says, If using stretch bolts on the Rod then only torque to 26 foot lbs when plasti-gauging the rod bearing clearance. OK. thats understandable you dont want to stretch the bolt and then unbolt it and stretch it again.

Problem is Mitchell On-Demand says the final torque on the Rod bolts should be 22 foot lbs.

Luckily the first bearing I checked I used the original rod bolts but now I've allready pressed the new bolts into the rod and I dont want to change back to the original bolts.

Looking at Jacks site it says 32 foot lbs but it doesn't differentiate between turbo (stretch bolts) and non-turbo (normal bolts). I cant imagine them being the same and Mitchell On-Demand lists different specs for the two.

Question #1 What is rod bolt torque spec for 85 Jetta TD?

Question #2 What process do you use to plati-gauge the bearing with stretch bolts? (probably best would be to reuse original bolts during checks)

HELP!

Here's Jacks info. (probably taken from Bently but Bently from what year and for turbo or non????

Richard
85 Jetta TD
ASE Certified Master Auto-Technician with L1 Advanced Engine Diagnostic Rating and Light Diesel certification
ATRA Certified in Rebuilding, Diagnosing & Installing Transmissions

My Threads---> <a href="viewtopic.php?t=6255&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0" target="_blank">Rusty Floor Repair </a> ---- <a href="viewtopic.php?t=4923&highlight=" target="_blank">Oil Pressure Warning</a>----<a href="viewtopic.php?t=6632" target="_blank">Uploading Pictures</a>----<a href="http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php? ... t&p=730755" target="_blank">My Porsche 914</a>
duffer
Turbo Charger

Post by duffer »

The Bentley says,

Connecting Rod Cap to Connecting Rod...............30Nm (22 ft. lb.)
+1/4 Turn (90 deg)

It (the Bentley) doesn't seem to differentiate between
turbo and non-turbo. And doesn't mention replacing the
rod bolts, or whether they're "stretch" bolts or not.
Fisher
Cetane Booster

Post by Fisher »

The Red Bentley (thru 84) says 33 ft. lbs. The Grey Bentley (85 up) says 22 plus 90 degrees.

Confusing.