drive axle removal

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

82rabbitdiesel
Diesel Freak

drive axle removal

Post by 82rabbitdiesel »

i'm trying to remove outer boot on the 82 rabbit (westy) and can't locate the circlip. bentley says it's there but have looked and not found. trying to get this done tonight so any help would be greatly appreciated. i've already got it separated from the hub but left it connected to the inner cv.
Carlos Galvos wrote: The steering wheel(81VWRabbit L) is pleasant to grip, and the instrumentation is cleanly and logically laid out in a manner one would expect from a fine European car.(posted on EBAY)
82 Rabbit Diesel, 2" lift, "45 mpg average"
82vdub
Turbo Charger

Post by 82vdub »

The clip should be located on the inside (towards the shaft) of the CV joint. If you clean this area well you should be able to see it. If you still can't see it, clamp the axle in a vice (easily) and take a rubber mallet and smack the CV joint. Even if the Bentley says there's a clip there, doesn't mean the axle wasn't changed. Some CV's can be tricky to get off, while others almost fall off the shaft.
Everybody else lists their cars here - but not me.

I have too many to count
82rabbitdiesel
Diesel Freak

Post by 82rabbitdiesel »

82vdub wrote: clamp the axle in a vice (easily) and take a rubber mallet and smack the CV joint.

Even if the Bentley says there's a clip there, doesn't mean the axle wasn't changed.
i still have it mounted bc i have to get new 13mm inner mount bolts, have to get the vice grips on the old ones. i will try to smack it again later: it was getting too late so had to put it back together. thanx for your help.
Carlos Galvos wrote: The steering wheel(81VWRabbit L) is pleasant to grip, and the instrumentation is cleanly and logically laid out in a manner one would expect from a fine European car.(posted on EBAY)
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

Probably not a clip on that one.
..so it just comes off with a couple good whacks.
'91 Golf gasser converted to a 12mm pump, M-TDI.
'84 1.6TD Rabbit with a VNT-15 turbo, still setup to run on vegetable oil.
'84 GTI with 1.7TD pistons and intercooled.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
82rabbitdiesel
Diesel Freak

Post by 82rabbitdiesel »

Fatmobile wrote:Probably not a clip on that one.
..so it just comes off with a couple good whacks.
that's what i'm starting to think. just doesn't seem to have enough space for one and i cleaned it off pretty good. i'll look at it again on next Tues.
tylernt
Turbo Charger

Post by tylernt »

When I did my boots, the outer joint was secured with a circlip that had a round cross-section and was designed to be automatically compressed by the inner race as you hammered the joint on or off with a soft-faced mallet. I suspect it was designed this way due to the outer race making the circlip completely inaccessible when the joint is assembled.

With the boot peeled back, you might be able to pivot the outer race so sharply it touches the shaft -- that might be enough to free the balls so you can remove the outer race without hammering. But it's easier to just whack it a few times, it should come off.
'82 Diesel Rabbit • '88 Fox (RIP) • '88 Jetta (work in progress)
82vdub
Turbo Charger

Post by 82vdub »

With the boot peeled back, you might be able to pivot the outer race so sharply it touches the shaft -- that might be enough to free the balls so you can remove the outer race without hammering. But it's easier to just whack it a few times, it should come off
If you're not experienced at exposing your balls (CV balls that is), they can, and are, quite tricky to get back together successfully........... If you haven't taken one apart before, I'd recommend keeping it together in one piece.
Everybody else lists their cars here - but not me.

I have too many to count
tylernt
Turbo Charger

Post by tylernt »

82vdub wrote:If you're not experienced at exposing your balls
:P
(CV balls that is), they can, and are, quite tricky to get back together successfully........... If you haven't taken one apart before, I'd recommend keeping it together in one piece.
Good point. The outers aren't too bad, but the inners are certainly a good way to provoke yourself to invent new curse words.

If the boot has been ripped for a while, you may want to disassemble and clean the joint in case it has been contaminated, which will greatly reduce the life of the joint. But if it just ripped a few days ago and you don't drive in a dusty or dirty environment, you might get away with just adding some grease and rebooting.
'82 Diesel Rabbit • '88 Fox (RIP) • '88 Jetta (work in progress)
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

When I take the outer CVs apart, I can tell it they are bad,.. silver flecks in the grease is a bad sign but the CV is often worn where the balls ride.
Discoloration doesn't mean anything, I think that happens when they harden the surface.
'91 Golf gasser converted to a 12mm pump, M-TDI.
'84 1.6TD Rabbit with a VNT-15 turbo, still setup to run on vegetable oil.
'84 GTI with 1.7TD pistons and intercooled.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
jets
Cetane Booster

Post by jets »

The last outer joint I replaced was on a T4 [Eurovan] same as a golf but larger. I took the shaft out to just replace the boot. There was a small amount of grease, on the outside, but no noise from the joint. I always clean the joint when I replace the boots & I am glad I did. The ball groove on the outer was starting to go & if I had not cleaned the grease I would be soon be doing the job again. This is a much bigger job than on the golf.
inmytree
Diesel Freak

Re: drive axle removal

Post by inmytree »

82rabbitdiesel wrote:i'm trying to remove outer boot on the 82 rabbit (westy) and can't locate the circlip. bentley says it's there but have looked and not found. trying to get this done tonight so any help would be greatly appreciated. i've already got it separated from the hub but left it connected to the inner cv.
here's a good diy....

http://www.hasengeeks.com/projects.php?page=axles
1990 Jetta GL Diesel
1991 Vanagon GL w/subaru 2.2
1989 Bronco
2008 Honda Fit Sport
82rabbitdiesel
Diesel Freak

Post by 82rabbitdiesel »

inmytree wrote: here's a good diy
....http://www.hasengeeks.com/projects.php?page=axles
thanx to all. i will give it another look on Sun.
82rabbitdiesel
Diesel Freak

Post by 82rabbitdiesel »

got it finished, all i have left is replace the upper cam screw nut that's stripped. was really quite easy once i knew what to do thanx to inmytree, jets, Fatmobile, tylernt and 82vdub. i hit it with a hammer and it slid off. cleaned it up, lubed it and put on the new boot. i used tie straps on the bellows to hopefully get more life out of 'em. thanx again to all who helped!