1.9 Diesel parts question

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

jaysun9
Glow Plug

1.9 Diesel parts question

Post by jaysun9 »

Hey there, so I've got a 1.9 NA in pieces right now and in the process of a rebuild and a buddy of mine has pistons, head, and rods from a 1.9TD that I would like to grab. Only question is whether they are universal from the 1.9TD to the 1.9 NA. I'm assuming that they are the same size but rated for a higher temp so it seems like it would be a good upgrade. Any information out there would be appreciated....\
Also wondering if anyone knows if there is a bentley manual out there for the 1.9 Diesels. I'm coming to find that it's hard to find anything for these motors in the states.
Much thanks
VWCaddy
Missing Linkz

Post by VWCaddy »

I think the 1.9D and 1.9TD parts are pretty much interchangeable, same bore, stroke and compression ratio. I've heard that the 1.9D is almost identical to the TD internally. I think the early '90s Passats in Canada/Europe had he 1.9D engine, maybe others as well.

It is a great engine, been running one in my '82 pickup for about 7 years now. The only bad thing about the engine is that it is tough on tires :) It is nearly impossible to pull away from a stop without breaking those things loose. My first set of 60,000 mile tires lasted about 25,000 miles.
'82 VW Caddy, 1.9D engine, FN tranny w/ Quaife, Missing LinkZ shift linkage
jaysun9
Glow Plug

Post by jaysun9 »

Yea I picked up a 82 diesel vanagon with the engine in pieces, basically a surrendered project that I lucked out on picking up on. Excited to get the van back on the road but having problems finding any parts for this engine. I think I finally found a place in canada that has most of the parts I need and combined with my friends parts I think I'm good to go.
I'm wondering now where I can find engine specs for the 1.9....ie. main journal diameter, bore diameter, etc.
Do you have a manual for your 1.9?
VWCaddy
Missing Linkz

Post by VWCaddy »

Some engine specs below:
- http://www.4crawler.com/Diesel/index.shtml#EngineSpecs

I've not shopped for a manual, but have found parts at the VW dealer and maybe Jack here carries some as well. Usually just need to tell the parts counter guy the right year and model vehicle that came with the engine so they get into the right section of ETKA. I recall a '92 or '93 Passat worked for me.
'82 VW Caddy, 1.9D engine, FN tranny w/ Quaife, Missing LinkZ shift linkage