Whole new car!!!

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

piglet_74
Cetane Booster

Whole new car!!!

Post by piglet_74 »

After spending weeks digging through posts, I amassed everything I needed (tools and knowledge) to really check out my motor this weekend.

Previously, starting in the morning (60's) required the cold start knob and the car would smoke and shake like heck. Once the car warmed up it ran pretty good but would load up when I idled at a light and then leave a cloud when I took off. I had to make sure I shifted at just the right time or the car would buck. One time I found that I could actually get the Cold start to go in further and the car ran really bad so I left it out a touch. Gas mileage was around 38mpg but I have some hills near work.

What I found when I dug into it was that compression was pretty even and in the low fours when the engine is warmed up. Timing was another story though. I followed Vince Waldon's page, adjusted my cold start, and found the cam out just a little but the IP was running around .025". With the crank, cam and IP pulley all lined up, I set it to .038". I also did a leak down and found #1 and #2 were passing some air into the bottom end when the engine was cold. All the valve clearances were within spec and I didn't hear anything from the intake or tail pipe so it looks like rings. (Those two cylinders also have low comp when cold like upper twos.)

So when I fired it up cold for the first time WOW. Hardly any smoke and I didn't use the CS at all. I pulled it on a little and the smoke disappeared. After a few minutes of warming up I pulled away and wow again. I don't have to be afraid to merge with traffic anymore. I also don't have to be so careful when I'm shifting. I can't wait to see my mpg this too.

Sorry for the long post but I figured it might be a good reference for other noobs like me. i also wanted to say thanks to Vince and everyone on the forums who posts their knowledge. I liked the car before, but now I love it.

Thanks, Rob.
82vdub
Turbo Charger

Post by 82vdub »

Congrats on getting it running much better!
Everybody else lists their cars here - but not me.

I have too many to count
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

It sounds like (after much study) you have a good grasp on how the VW diesel works.
Great to find out it was all adjustments and nothing really wrong with the engine.
'91 Golf gasser converted to a 12mm pump, M-TDI.
'84 1.6TD Rabbit with a VNT-15 turbo, still setup to run on vegetable oil.
'84 GTI with 1.7TD pistons and intercooled.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
piglet_74
Cetane Booster

Post by piglet_74 »

Ya, I'm very happy! Today I didn't have to downshift going up hills on my way to work. I'm thinking I'll do rings in the spring and just keep an eye on it till then. Thanks again. Rob.
3Bunnys
Turbo Charger

Post by 3Bunnys »

another variable that might be interesting to test and adjust is internal pump pressure.... there is a sticky at the top of forum with details...

R
and congrats on the tune-up... really isn't that difficult is it... these engines are simple as pie ala mode... or so says hagar ;-)
82 1.6 N/A
83 1.6 N/A
84 1.6 N/A
82 FORD 3610 Diesel Tractor
82 CASE 580D Loader/Backhoe w/Cummins
83 IH 274 Tractor w/Mitsubishi Diesel
88 Chevy C-70 w/Cat 3208
2000 Toro 223D Groundmaster w/Mitsubishi Diesel
2000 John Deere 4600
2003 MAGNUM Light Tower/6KW Generator w/Mitsubishi Diesel
2003 Mitsubishi Fuso Truck
piglet_74
Cetane Booster

Post by piglet_74 »

I was reading on that a little an it is interesting.

I was a little nervous about adjusting the cam but I just followed it word for word and said to myself it was designed to be adjusted so lets do it. I also checked it a dozen times until I convinced myself that it was out of alignment. I have to find something better than a file though. i was afraid of marking the gasket surface.

The scary thing was I had blown a head gasket on a 84 when I was a college freshman. Somehow with out a manual I managed to replace it without destroying the engine.

Thanks, Rob.
82vdub
Turbo Charger

Post by 82vdub »

I would say the most import part of replacing the timing belt on an interferrence engine (where the valves contact the pistons if one of the crank or overhead cam quits spinning) is when you're done, you rotate the engine at least two complete revolutions by hand (wrench on crankshaft snout). If thre is any interferrence with a mistake that happened to be made, you will find out first, before hitting the key and bending valves with the turn of the wrist. When it really comes down to it, it's not really all that hard to do. It just takes some time and to do it per the book, some specialty tools. Congrats on the successful repair.
Everybody else lists their cars here - but not me.

I have too many to count