Nailing Injectors?

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

jolotter
Diesel Freak

Nailing Injectors?

Post by jolotter »

As I accelerate I reach a threshold in each gear where I get a loud mechanical rattling sound that may be nailing injectors. It happens at 90km/h in 4th and 110km/h in 5th.

Are those about the same RPM?

Could nailing contribute to rapidly failing glowplugs?
83.5 Westy 1.6 TD
93 1.9TD engine in the shed
coke

Post by coke »

Yes especially if your injectors are leaking. They will cause the "nailing" noise and erode the tips of your glow plugs off as well.

Buy a rebuilt set.
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

Check for loose AC/ alternator bracket bolts.
'91 Golf gasser converted to a 12mm pump, M-TDI.
'84 1.6TD Rabbit with a VNT-15 turbo, still setup to run on vegetable oil.
'84 GTI with 1.7TD pistons and intercooled.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
Quantum-man
Turbo Charger

Re: Nailing Injectors?

Post by Quantum-man »

jolotter wrote:As I accelerate I reach a threshold in each gear where I get a loud mechanical rattling sound that may be nailing injectors. It happens at 90km/h in 4th and 110km/h in 5th.

Are those about the same RPM?

Could nailing contribute to rapidly failing glowplugs?
Hi,
Are you saying you've been getting short lived glowplugs recently, or are you just worried you might, if this problem continues?
If the former, then what does one of your failed glowplug look like?
Does it look melted from the outside, or is it just a little swollen, which may mean you have a power supply problem
[over voltage or circuit on too long , or just bad luck]
"I'm not here to help... I'm here to Pro-Volke"

Be like meeee...Drive a Quantum TD
...The best work-horse after the cart...

Quantae grow on you...but Rabbits are like roses...
... girls like em ;o)

Only one Darwin, Einstein, Poe and Verne.
That is why if you listen, you will learn:
From the one and only Quantum-man,
Who sees the worms from outside of the can.

7 Quantae in 20 years; 4 dead and 3 TD's still alive [2 wagons & 1 fastback] oh and a GTD :o)
crankpot
Cetane Booster

Post by crankpot »

excessive timing advance as well.

retard your timing a bit a see if it goes away. I set my timing to clatter at high rpm. It reminds me to shift, and runs well.
1981 Caddy diesel 119K with working r12 A/C!
Freshly rebuilt engine .020 over, rebuilt 4 speed recently converted to a FN 5 speed, new control arm, ball joints, steering rack, engine mounts, clutch, clutch cable,flywheel, all brakes, brake cylinders, wheels, tires, Audiovox cruise control, HID Headlights, LED instrument lights.

Bob Jupiter, FL
jolotter
Diesel Freak

Post by jolotter »

The glow plug tips are swollen. Power supply you say? Hmmm.

When I bought the car "with a broken timing belt" the no-start problem turned out to be burnt out plugs. I swapped the good ones from the spare engine that came with the car but a few months later no start again. I bought four new Autolites and in less than two weeks they started to fail.

Around then I replaced the + lead to the starter as it was frayed from rubbing on the battery tray. No doubt it was shorting too. It's been about 5 months now and I'm pretty sure one plug has burnt out as it needs about 15 seconds of glow to start and then it's rough for about 10 more. It's generally less than 10 deg C in the morning.

Over voltage?? Tell that to my jumper cables.
83.5 Westy 1.6 TD
93 1.9TD engine in the shed
82vdub
Turbo Charger

Post by 82vdub »

jolotter wrote:I bought four new Autolites and in less than two weeks they started to fail.
Autolites? I made the mistake once and bought them. It was spring and the car started great until it started to get cold in the fall then was hard to start again. Both new Autolite plugs wouldn't glow after being installed for 6 months. Junk the Autolites and install some good old Bosch glow plugs. This won't solve your nailing injector issue though.
Everybody else lists their cars here - but not me.

I have too many to count