Found a good place for a Blackstone Intercooler in Rabbit

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

libbybapa
Turbo Charger

Re: Inter-cooler.

Post by libbybapa »

hagar wrote:Diesel Dean and ALL : I hagar takes no offense , call me a Ignoramus if you like . BUT when all is said and done ?? hagar was right after all. EH ?.
I don't know what it is you might take offense at. I'm sure I didn't call you an ignoramus or anything else for that mater. When all is said and done, what exactly were you right about?
I think we need Mark Shepherd the "Worm" to get in on this one. . It takes someone with ability to think in the abstract level of Diesel technology . I am strictly "LOGIC" like lets have the facts , NOT guesswork.
I'd enjoy Mark's input, as always, although I don't think he's ever had an intercooler fit to any of his lumps. Perhaps on granny's? Remarkably enough, I personally have significant skills in both logic and thinking abstractly, thank you very much.
Anaway Diesel Dean . just pick what you think makes the most sense. anyway I am not giving up on getting you going , like nothing you ever dreamed of.. yes very time consuming , BUT a lot of FUN.
I get the impression that Diesel Dean has gotten himself going nicely prior to even posting this thread. Kudos to him.
PS : Tuned intakes and Exhaust are well known in Amerika and Kanada. VW 1.5 L NA has TUNED intake pipe .,read my lips.
I thought this discussion was about intercoolers which wouldn't have any business on a 1.5 NA.

Andrew
MPalm
Turbo Charger

Post by MPalm »

I think it´s going to work just fine, the GTD stock intercooler sits on top of the gearbox in the stream of warm air coming from the radiator :roll:
Golf IV TDI -98 330000km
libbybapa
Turbo Charger

Post by libbybapa »

I thought the stock GTD directed air from beside the radiator and headlight and didn't share any of the radiator's air, thus all the added shrouding. I've only seen the pictures, tho.

MPalm
Turbo Charger

Post by MPalm »

Yes I forgot about the shrouding :oops:
Mk1 GTD didn´t have a IC
Mk2 GTD is pretty rare here too, the mk2 TD did not have a IC IIRC
Diesel Deans IC is still going to work just fine. :D
Golf IV TDI -98 330000km
libbybapa
Turbo Charger

Post by libbybapa »

Yes, it will work fine.

Andrew
Diesel Dean
Turbo Charger

Post by Diesel Dean »

Here is what I have so far. The hose from the intake and turbo are 1 1/2 inch pipe and the intercooler has 2 1/2 opening. Looking for ideas to mate the two up. I need a elbow with the two diffrent dimensions.
1981 VW Diesel truck / 1984 Rabbit car welded together
libbybapa
Turbo Charger

Post by libbybapa »

ABS is good for a mock up but will not handle the heat of prolonged running. It will deform and burst, BTDT. For about $100 you can get a whole assortment of aluminum intercooler piping of different bend angles along with an assortment of silicone couplers (both straight and angled) and clamps. You can then also get silicone reducers for whatever size you need. I made a beading tool from vice grips as well as with higher boost pressures the tubes would come undone. At stock boost you might not need to bead the tubes.

Andrew
Diesel Dean
Turbo Charger

Post by Diesel Dean »

I think if I replace the ABS with exhaust pipe it may work. I wonderd if it would be to hot for the ABS pipe. I should only have to spend about 15 bucks to finish up. I bought this set up today at the auto parts store. The elbow came from Menards and is for drain pipe it's rubber. Andrew do you think the rubber pipe will be ok? How much pressure will the pipe and joints have to handle? I will be running stock boost. I am also thinking about buying some kind of heat wrap for the pipe.
libbybapa
Turbo Charger

Post by libbybapa »

I don't know if the rubber will handle it long term. It won't like the heat or the oil in the intake tract. Keep an eye on it. The stock boost pressure is about 10 psi. The amount of heat depends on the boost pressure. At stock boost pressures you won't exceed 200°F. The heat wrap won't help the ABS any. The heat will be inside the pipe. The pre-intercooler pipe will deform first and will do so where it is clamped. I can appreciate wanting to do it on the cheap, but there's something to be said for using materials that exceed the requirements and will operate consistently for long periods of time. The galvanized reducer should be fine and the ABS and rubber will work for a while, but bear in mind that when it does fail it will be after you have been running it for a while, e.g. highway trip. I used ABS on an initial intercooler install once and around town it lasted for a couple weeks, but blew up on the freeway the first trip out of town a little over 1/2 hour away. That one failure was not worth the money I saved initially.

Andrew
Diesel Dean
Turbo Charger

Post by Diesel Dean »

Looks like this will be the end result with the acception of replacing the ABS pipe with steel exhaust pipe. If any one is going to try this set up I should mention I had to drill new holes for the bottom mounts on the radiator. I had to move closer the drivers side of the car.
libbybapa
Turbo Charger

Post by libbybapa »

I'd get the timing cover on there before running it and catching a rock, etc.
Diesel Dean
Turbo Charger

Post by Diesel Dean »

How would I increase boost and will I cause any problems if I experiment. Will it give me alot more H.P? How much.
libbybapa
Turbo Charger

Post by libbybapa »

I'd recommend a pre-turbine EGT gauge before playing with boost or fueling. I'd also recommend going over to the GTD Forum www.vwdiesel.net. There's tons more information on tuning over there. Yes, you can get tons more HP. You can quite feasibly add 50% without particularly affecting reliability of done right.

Andrew