What kind of luck with re-ring?

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

Bormie
Cetane Booster

Post by Bormie »

My Jetta just turned the 10k mile mark since the rebuild and I did another oil change using Shell Rotella T 15-40.
The car hardly uses any oil maybe 1/8" down the stick after 4k miles. It also seems to have more power lately, I can pull grades now in 5th gear when before I had to downshift.
I got 49mpg last week commuting back and forth to work keeping it at or under 70mph which is my best mileage to date. I have been using Redline diesel catalyst at 2oz per tankfull since I got it back together.
Maybe it is finally breaking in!
Bormie
Cetane Booster

Post by Bormie »

17K on the clock since re-ring and all is well. No oil consumption and 43-51mpg.
I just did an oil change with Shell Rotella and switched to a Mobil 1 oil filter after reading a post on cheap filters.
I decided to turn the fuel screw in a bit for more power on the hills. The mileage seems to be suffering but it has a better feel with less throttle needed to get the car moving. It feels almost like a gasser!
A bit of black smoke at full throttle. I'm not sure of the full effect on mileage because I'm sure winter fuel is here at the stations.
43-44mpg on last two tanks but it's also been windy which always drops the numbers.
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Re-Ringing a Rabbit ?

Post by hagar »

To re-Ring a Rabbit ? super idea. , and simple.. Take a good look at a 1.6L VW Turbo engine EH ? thing of beauty . Top rings "Chrome" exhaust valves "Plasma-coated" .

We , the forum has discussed using "Total-seal" rings EH ? fine rings indeed. BUT due to the high pressure against the cylinder walls (increasing wear) I was contra. . Let me say in a bad engine ? yes I would use them.
I have used them in gassers , but I have no gasser that will go a million miles on a set of rings. (have you?).

Here is the most important , re-ring information IMHO the HONING . the 45 degree crosshatch must be DEEP very deep. . Yes we can do it. Heck I am not a mechanic , I did it SO? you can do it.

hagar.

PS : I have been writing about this for years , and FUN was had. nothing but "Luck ?" not all luck. read my lips.
Op-Ivy
Turbo Charger

Post by Op-Ivy »

Thanks for the updates Bormie. This is something I have been considering. Lately I've been burning a lot more oil and it seems to be getting worse.
1990 TD Jetta - 490,000Km
bc
Turbo Charger

re-ring

Post by bc »

My '83 vanagon burns through a quart every full tank of fuel. And when I
hook up the breather hose to the intake, oil pours out of the dipstick. Sound like a re-ringer?
'83 diesel vanagon
'85 diesel Jetta
'86 diesel Golf
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Rings and Rings. EH ?

Post by hagar »

Lord of the RINGS : here I must pipe up , EH ? Op-Ivy ,you understand. In gasser alley we had "Oilburners" blue smoke , remember?.(total waste)

Now this is where a DIESEL has it all over the gassers. NO matter how bad the rings leak , all is not lost.

If we have real bad "OIL-BURNER" we simply use High Cetane Lube, get it ?.

I know from personal observation that Op-Ivy's Jetta does not smoke , WHY ? the oil that leaks by the rings is converted to lokomotion.. Ergo no waste.

That indicates that Synthetic Oil's are a NO NO. I use AeroShell , that is a HIGH cetane NIL ash lube.. BUT my Rabbits are no longer " Oil-Burners" dang it..

hagar.