Old guy Old Rabbit---both Happy.

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

DervConvert
Cetane Booster

Re: Old guy Old Rabbit.

Post by DervConvert »

hagar wrote:SAGA : after reading a lot of forum entries , I see that a lot of members still have troubles with those 3 pointed fasteners on the BOSCH VE pumps . SO ? I shall explain , again how simple it is .(yes to find in SAGA is a lot of time).

I use 6 pointed deep sockets 3/8 drive or 1/2 Inch drive. , I spread a cotter key and push inside socket , try one and you will get the drift
I did indeed get the drift! You're THE MAN, Hagar. 8)
Regards,
M
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Old guy Old Rabbit.

Post by hagar »

SAGA : DervConvert said :
What are the tricks you learned from such like Lucky Lindy whom taught pilots how to go further on the same fuel or carry more load during take-off (though weren't they mostly petrol/gas engines)?

I learned a lot of tricks from the flyboys and I am still learning.. . Lindy flew the Pond , that means he knew how to operate a gasser engine for MAXIMUM miles , without detroying Engine. SO ? the amerkan military asked him to go to the Pacific and retrain Pilots .Why retrain ? Amerikan Pilots were trained NOT to use lean to get max Power.. it results in a Melt Down of engine. BUT done the lindy way they would not have to ditch 50 miles short of Carrier , out of fuel. Does hagar know how to get maximum Miles out of a "Thunderbolt" try me. . Tricky Tricky read my lips., that is a 2000 HP fan in front. . Was it a P-48 ? .

The diesels are simple , they thrive on LEAN mixture . , they can not be harmed by too lean a mixture. Too rich on a diesel is called "Overfueling" and it will destroy a VW diesel likkety-split.

My maximum Rabbit Lindy way ? about 100 MPG Imp. Bread and butter everyday smileage ? 76.0 MPG Imp.

So you want a Rocket Ship ? "Hillbilly-TUNING" will give you that too. 100 HP SAE anytime. (Turbo Only)..

hagar.
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Old guy Old Rabbit.

Post by hagar »

SAGA : Many years ago Val Christian in Rochester NY blew the whistle on the slipping camshaft Sprockets.

He had one that slipped , and it was done by VW. . Knowing that the Bentley is used at Amerikan Stealerships , made me think the Book was to blame.

Val Christian was so smart he bought a 1977 Rabbit , right out of the show-room. Val and hagar talk on the phone regularly , .That was in Dan's forum .

After the whistle blew a lot of members piped up . That's why I know how important this is to 2009 Newbies.. Mark Shepherd "the "Worm" was in like a dirty shirt. (he was a great help) I was a Newbie then , with no Bentley .
As it turned out loads of VW diesels was damaged due to Camshaft problems. One member , while on a trip , had the shaft break in to 3 pieces.. SO what am I preaching ? " Finesse". . NO NO do not panic , just do it now.

Here is what I do . I remove bolt and washer , then I use a small piece if Plasti-gauge re-install washer and bolt and tighten to 45 foot pounds torque ..Gap must be about 50 thou inch Amerikan.. Then I do the "Worm" test install bolt NO washer to make sure bolt does not bottom out ,leaving insufficient pressure on washer.. Then I clean things and cover the blunt end and sprocket with Wet 'N' wild nail lacquer . This is done to detect minute slipping later , when trouble-shooting.Then finally I torque bolt to 45 and all is well. My bolts are 1.7 inch Amerikan long Washer is 1.5 Inch by 7 mm thick.

Milling the cylinder head is another problem , after milling bearings should be line bored or honed. . Can it be done with yellow time-saver ? yes it can . "Yellow-Time-saver" could be called yellow money-saver. I love the stuff..

Camshaft bolt , is it ok to use Red or Blue "LOCTITE" ? I recommend it.

SO ? if you know of any Camshaft "Horror" stories pipe up EH . After all it is Halloween.

hagar.

PS : our friend at Jacksonville Florida sent me a link to Vera Lynn singing ,did my eyes get wet ?,you bet.
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Old guy Old Rabbit.

Post by hagar »

SAGA : " Great Citizen and Statesman Extrodinaire! " ??? WOW.

What do you say "Worm" ? is that Hagar's redemption or what. . idhoho was my literary mentor when I was attacked by the Texas Truck driver "Chris in Tyler Texas" He called me names , not fit for this forum. .
"Chuckles" (idhoho) came to my defense and that was the last I heard of the Texan. .

Happy Birth day to Lisa , Chuckles wife .Is she a Scorpio ? I am , and it is unwise to fool around with a "Scorpio"..

Lisa and Svend-Mogens may have been born very close , due to time difference EH ?. She is a looker and a School Teacher and Chuckles is lucky to be reeled in by her.

Yellow Time-saver I use on Cam bearings and Intermediate shaft bearings like this : I make a paste and brush it on .Then I turn to things turn "FREELY" , by hand or drill-motor..

Everything I fit , I fit "CLOSE" very close . Why ? Then I can drive in to the Texas sunset witout a worry.. (I like west Texas).

How did I learn so much ? well unknown to lots of my Amerikan friends all American publications like "Popular Mechanics" were available in Danish ,Norwegian and Swedish SO ? I am a product of Amerikan and German technology.. I shall explain difference later..

hagar.
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Old guy Old Rabbit.

Post by hagar »

SAGA : "Cynic" from Texas said : Information from these forums was worth NOTHING . because information and help was FREE EH ? .

A person who believes all people are motivated by selfishness.
A person whose outlook is scornfully and often habitually negative. that was one NEGATIVE Texan read my lips..

Do you believe that free inf. is worthless ? I got news for you. BUT there is a caveat , Cherry picking with care is required.

These "FORUMS" saved me $ Thousands. so why not YOU ?. EH.

hagar.
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Old guy Old Rabbit.

Post by hagar »

SAGA : for the handful of readers of hagar's SAGA , here is some lingo clarifications.

My diesel Bible is BOSCH Diesel-engine management 2nd edition. SAE international. . ISBN 0-7680-0509-4 .

and yes it sits right next to one of many Christian Bibles. (about hundred pounds) I use that lingo in SAGA.

Many BOSCH books use different lingo .WHY ? different translators. . For example I call it a "Control Collar"

aka Control spool ,Control Sleeve SO ? what do we do ? we muddle along.

hagar.

PS : I still read all you guys , just about every day.
Quantum-man
Turbo Charger

Re: Old guy Old Rabbit.

Post by Quantum-man »

hagar wrote:SAGA : for the handful of readers of hagar's SAGA , here is some lingo clarifications.

My diesel Bible is BOSCH Diesel-engine management 2nd edition. SAE international. . ISBN 0-7680-0509-4 .

and yes it sits right next to one of many Christian Bibles. (about hundred pounds) I use that lingo in SAGA.

Many BOSCH books use different lingo .WHY ? different translators. . For example I call it a "Control Collar"

aka Control spool ,Control Sleeve SO ? what do we do ? we muddle along.

hagar.

PS : I still read all you guys , just about every day.
I can't see that book for sale over here. Not even on ABE, :cry:
"I'm not here to help... I'm here to Pro-Volke"

Be like meeee...Drive a Quantum TD
...The best work-horse after the cart...

Quantae grow on you...but Rabbits are like roses...
... girls like em ;o)

Only one Darwin, Einstein, Poe and Verne.
That is why if you listen, you will learn:
From the one and only Quantum-man,
Who sees the worms from outside of the can.

7 Quantae in 20 years; 4 dead and 3 TD's still alive [2 wagons & 1 fastback] oh and a GTD :o)
Vincent Waldon
Turbo Charger

Post by Vincent Waldon »

Vince

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2001 silver TDI Jetta Malone Stage 1.5 , 2001 blue TDI Jetta SBIII 216s Malone Stage 3
1970 Bay Window bus

Gone but not forgotten: 1969/1971 Beetles, 1969/1974 Westies, 1979 Rabbit, 1986 TD Jetta, 1992 gas Jetta, 1994 TD Jetta

Here's a small collection of HOW-TOs
Quantum-man
Turbo Charger

Post by Quantum-man »

Vincent Waldon wrote:Cheer up mate:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bosch-Diesel-En ... 665&sr=8-2

:D
Ah yes but does that new and enlarged edition contain all the old mk2 stuff, or is it a bit like the Quantum Bentley which drops much of the earlier stuff...
"I'm not here to help... I'm here to Pro-Volke"

Be like meeee...Drive a Quantum TD
...The best work-horse after the cart...

Quantae grow on you...but Rabbits are like roses...
... girls like em ;o)

Only one Darwin, Einstein, Poe and Verne.
That is why if you listen, you will learn:
From the one and only Quantum-man,
Who sees the worms from outside of the can.

7 Quantae in 20 years; 4 dead and 3 TD's still alive [2 wagons & 1 fastback] oh and a GTD :o)
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Old guy Old Rabbit.

Post by hagar »

SAGA : "Worm" said : Ah yes but does that new and enlarged edition contain all the old mk2 stuff, or is it a bit like the Quantum Bentley which drops much of the earlier stuff...

hagar is with the worm the 4th edition is not as good as 2nd edition for guys with VW diesels 1977 to about 2000.

2nd edition went out of print years ago. . Why don't I like 4th edition ? it is too big..

Worm send your mailing address and I shall try to mail you the BOSCH CD . hang up your sock by the fire place.

hagar..
Vincent Waldon
Turbo Charger

Post by Vincent Waldon »

Quantum-man wrote: Ah yes but does that new and enlarged edition contain all the old mk2 stuff, or is it a bit like the Quantum Bentley which drops much of the earlier stuff...
I've read 3 or 4 versions of this tome and they seem to mostly add stuff each edition...hence the increasing waist line. :wink: There's definately tons of early IDI pump stuff.

I can get the 4th edition from our local public library, so if there is specific info you know to be in the 2nd edition I can have a peek for you before you invest.
Vince

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2001 silver TDI Jetta Malone Stage 1.5 , 2001 blue TDI Jetta SBIII 216s Malone Stage 3
1970 Bay Window bus

Gone but not forgotten: 1969/1971 Beetles, 1969/1974 Westies, 1979 Rabbit, 1986 TD Jetta, 1992 gas Jetta, 1994 TD Jetta

Here's a small collection of HOW-TOs
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Old guy Old Rabbit.

Post by hagar »

SAGA : Yes my " Diesel Bible " is NOT a how to fix a diesel , it is a scientific way of looking at Diesels..And there is an earlier edition , darn I could not get a copy. BUT yes I read a library copy.

BOSCH has a lot of books dealing with diesel .No Amerika is not the worlds best , the Germans (BOSCH) is. (IMHO).

A grand fatherly advice to newbies , if you can read German , go the extra Km and get your books in German..

After all is said and done EH? if we understand a function , we know how to deal with a problem . EH ?.

hagar.
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Old guy Old Rabbit.

Post by hagar »

SAGA : there has been a lot of banter about AIR in FUEL , EH ?

Here is the good news for you ALL . The BOSCH system is NOT like a lot of Amerikan systems , no need to bleed AIR it bleeds automatically. . Simply prime I P and air will be expelled.

Another good feature , no harm to Pump from running out of fuel . The outlet is way up high so pump still has lots of fuel for cooling and lubrication. . I fool around with lots of Diesels , and most has to have air bled out , or no go.

AIR in lines on Rabbits (Jettas) is like measles for humans . Simple to fix.

Tell us if you have return to tank or return via Filter ,that is important for us to help you.

hagar.
idhoho
Turbo Charger

Post by idhoho »

Svend! Thanks so much for the birthday remembrance for my lovely Lisa! She is tickled to know you remembered!! East Texas Bumpkin WAS a knucklehead for sure but one must feel compassion for the poor souls that have so little to enjoy while on this earth, eh?

Story of slipping cam.... BAD NEWS! I had such an experience. Cost me lots of time and some money to make it right. In the middle of nowhere northern Nevada! I was lucky as no harm was done to the pistons in my newly rebuilt engine!! I did fabricate a cam lock tool/lever when I replaced the head after that! No fun losing a perfectly good head to such foolishness as a little bolt not doing it's job properly!
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Old guy Old Rabbit.

Post by hagar »

SAGA : idhoho aka "Chuckles" . my concern right now is for Lukas and Shane , BUT for the many readers of the SAGA please give us details of your slipping cam sprocket .

I never had problems but when Val Christian wrote about the problem . I clicked to it in a nano second..

The truth is , I thought there was a key in the key-way.. (I had no Bentley then).

hagar.