Old guy Old Rabbit---both Happy.

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

Op-Ivy
Turbo Charger

Post by Op-Ivy »

I always though there was a key in the cam as well. :lol:
1990 TD Jetta - 490,000Km
idhoho
Turbo Charger

Post by idhoho »

Nopesir :shock: No key on the camshaft pulley as we all now know so well! Made to adjust precisely the timing so that the pulley is omnipositional on the cam. It is only a tapered shaft with lots of friction when the locking nut is tight enough! I was travelling back and forth between Battle Mountain and Winnemucca NV. Look these places up on Google Earth. VAST region of the US! There is a substatial mountain pass that makes the gold ore haulers go like snails! My little pickup started losing power and smoking. I should have known there was an issue but at the same time my IP had been giving me fits so I thought it was just the pump. This went on for some time and the engine was new as well! I really didn't have a good feel for it yet.

The low power and smoke gave-way to clicking one day in town. I slowed-down to pull over and check it......Bang :roll: and she stopped running. No Compression! DUH. I had to replace the head but the engine was A-OK... just a circular mark on a piston or two. When I replaced the head I read and read. Here, there and everywhere. Now I know that the torque on the nut is as important as rain! Not only do you need to make sure that the nut is TIGHT, Tap it and torque it, tap it and torque it... just to be sure. I made a pulley wrench to hold the pulley in position while I snugged the nut. NEVER lock the cam with the cam lock to do this as it will break out a piece of steel on the end of the cam.....EVERY TIME! Tricks of the Trade :D My boys are doing GREAT Svend! Both are in College via scholarship (academic). Making fantastic marks and, looking toward grad school! Thanks for asking!
tripseven
Diesel Freak

Post by tripseven »

idhoho wrote:NEVER lock the cam with the cam lock to do this as it will break out a piece of steel on the end of the cam.....EVERY TIME!
Guess I have been super lucky so far. I have done three with homemade cam timing tool to lock cam without breaking. I didnt even use a torque wrench since mine is busted :shock: Going by feel, Im sure it's torqued well over 45 ft/lbs. Now hoping things dont break on me. I like the idea of tap/torque, tap/torque...and hagars Plasti-gauge test!

Anyone have pics of their cam sprocket locking tool?
wolf_walker
Cetane Booster

Post by wolf_walker »

Adjustable crescent wrench of sufficient size will grab onto a cam lobe and hold it for tightening that nut. I just make sure the mating surfaces are clean and torque the snot out of it. Not likely to break doing it by hand, the stock spec is not that much.
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Old guy Old Rabbit.

Post by hagar »

SAGA : Why the problem ? one problem is the fact that sprocket and cam may not be mated by VW,

hagar.
idhoho
Turbo Charger

Post by idhoho »

[quote="tripseven
Anyone have pics of their cam sprocket locking tool?[/quote]

I have a pic but can't get at it right now. I made it out of a old lug wrench (ford) and a couple of CV Axle to Transaxle bolts. Cut the lug off the lug wrench and welded the bolts to the wrench where they match the holes in the cam pulley. The curve in the lug wrench made it easy to avoid obstacles in the engine compartment! It doesn't have to be perfect..... lots of room for error on this tool! Just something to hold the pulley while ya torque on the bolt. Glad you haven't broken the end of the camshaft yet.... Sure can happen in a jiffy! :roll:
libbybapa
Turbo Charger

Post by libbybapa »

I initially torque the cam to 20 ft. lbs. with the cam lock in place. I then torque it to 45 holding the sprocket with my hand. With the resistance that is offered by the pistons, compression and pump, achieving 45 ft. lbs. is fairly easy just holding the sprocket by hand. Tap the bolt and then check and make sure it stays it's still at 45.

The sprocket holder is necessary for loosening the bolt.
82vdub
Turbo Charger

Post by 82vdub »

I've always used the IP locking pin as a way to hold the cam sprocket bolt for loosening and tightening. I snug up the cam nut, remove the locking plate, then let the IP locking pin and timing belt hold the assembly to do the final tighten.
Everybody else lists their cars here - but not me.

I have too many to count
tripseven
Diesel Freak

Post by tripseven »

Thanks for the great tips folks! Got my pop tester pretty much done so now time for a new torque wrench since mine came apart into a bunch of little pieces :evil:. Those Husky torque wrenches from Home Depot any good? Price and lifetime warranty looks good to me.

Sorry for the highjack hagar
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Old guy Old Rabbit.

Post by hagar »

SAGA : tripseven and ALL you are all more than welcome to use my post , the more diverse the opinions , the more I like it. . "Highjaxk" ? not possible if you are invited. , and you are..

All my years of fooling around a bending beam 1/2 inch drive has done 90 % of my work. They are very robust (mine is an old Craftsman 0-150). . When checking cam-bolts I use 45 foot pounds as a benchmark., if it moves at all it was too loose IMHO PO may have tightened way more ,in that case I just leave it alone., I do not undo.

Will one of you please tell me what to call hagars fuel entered at the intake filter. ? is it injection or what ?.

I am going to do it to Fraulein Bunny Bondo , I can afford to sacrifice her , if RPM goes totally crazy.

The Turbo does a good job as a blender of fuel and air. . Lets face it , a lot of members read this post , I am flabbergasted. (but pleased).

hagar.

PS : I never got bored or frustrated , tired , impatient, fooling around with these marvels. and for you in hard times DIY types They are fantastic . , FREE fuel all around you., read my lips.
joat
Turbo Charger

Re: Old guy Old Rabbit.

Post by joat »

hagar wrote:
Will one of you please tell me what to call hagars fuel entered at the intake filter. ? is it injection or what ?.

s.

Fuel augmentation... a la hagar

BTW hagar, I saw my first type 166 today, in person.... just missing the gun and pick axe .... completely restored.
tripseven
Diesel Freak

Post by tripseven »

After searching around it appears beam-type torque wrenches are more accurate than clicker-types since you can calibrate them easily. I thought it was the other away around. Perhaps having both would allow one to check the clicker for accuracy with the beam to some extent since the clicker is nice for tight places. Plus beams are way cheaper.

Anyone use a hand held laser tach for setting RPM and such? Saw this video of IP being spun up to 10,000 RPM. Way cool!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6j0vrfaX ... r_embedded
hagar wrote:Will one of you please tell me what to call hagars fuel entered at the intake filter. ? is it injection or what ?.

I am going to do it to Fraulein Bunny Bondo , I can afford to sacrifice her , if RPM goes totally crazy.
Hmm...I must have missed something. What are you planning hagar?
Quantum-man
Turbo Charger

Post by Quantum-man »

tripseven wrote:After searching around it appears beam-type torque wrenches are more accurate than clicker-types since you can calibrate them easily. I thought it was the other away around. Perhaps having both would allow one to check the clicker for accuracy with the beam to some extent since the clicker is nice for tight places. Plus beams are way cheaper.

Anyone use a hand held laser tach for setting RPM and such? Saw this video of IP being spun up to 10,000 RPM. Way cool!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6j0vrfaX ... r_embedded
hagar wrote:Will one of you please tell me what to call hagars fuel entered at the intake filter. ? is it injection or what ?.

Hmm...I must have missed something. What are you planning hagar?
I suspect he has permission from NASA to deliberately induce a state of 'runaway':mrgreen:

A name?

"Syrup of Hagar"(gives you the runs) :mrgreen:
"I'm not here to help... I'm here to Pro-Volke"

Be like meeee...Drive a Quantum TD
...The best work-horse after the cart...

Quantae grow on you...but Rabbits are like roses...
... girls like em ;o)

Only one Darwin, Einstein, Poe and Verne.
That is why if you listen, you will learn:
From the one and only Quantum-man,
Who sees the worms from outside of the can.

7 Quantae in 20 years; 4 dead and 3 TD's still alive [2 wagons & 1 fastback] oh and a GTD :o)
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Old guy Old Rabbit.

Post by hagar »

SAGA : Mark Shepherd aka "The Worm" etc , many years ago asked an interesting question. . Why is it that two engines (Twins) of the line would last and perform so differently ? Now in Dec 2009 it dawned on me , that one of the variables was "Balancing" .. Lets see if you can wrap your mind on this one.

I have had more than one beer at the local Heavy Duty Diesel "Watering Hole" . . My friend Larry Mitchell operates a lot of diesel equipment. (Caterpillar and Big Mac stuff) here is what he told me. .When he gets a brand new diesel , it is pulled from equipment and shipped to Vancouver BC for "Reballancing" , very costly BUT engines last a lot longer . , SO there you go Worm , that is one variable EH.? .

hagar now has three modes ECO (my favorite) All out Turbo and eh eh Syrup ? yeah "Augmentation Syrup". From now on it is Augmentation Syrup.. (no hagar).

My dear Mother called me an Egotist , SO I try not to say I did I said you get it EH ? .(she was the opposite) .
hagar will never take credit for neat tricks of others, read my lips.

hagar.

PS : ECO .Turbo and Syrup , EH ?
idhoho
Turbo Charger

Cam Pulley Locking Tool

Post by idhoho »