Old guy Old Rabbit---both Happy.

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

Vincent Waldon
Turbo Charger

Post by Vincent Waldon »

There are a couple of different styles:

It's found on mid-80's gassers with K-Jetronic fuel injection (long silver braided hoses) in a couple places... often in series with the hose that goes to the vacuum advance on the distributor.

or this:

That style is a pretty generic solenoid valve... often a 2-way... that's part of the wonderful emission control hosing on various MK2s and MK3s. It's usually bolted to the top of the firewall as shown in the picture.

Smilage here you come!!
Vince

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2001 silver TDI Jetta Malone Stage 1.5 , 2001 blue TDI Jetta SBIII 216s Malone Stage 3
1970 Bay Window bus

Gone but not forgotten: 1969/1971 Beetles, 1969/1974 Westies, 1979 Rabbit, 1986 TD Jetta, 1992 gas Jetta, 1994 TD Jetta

Here's a small collection of HOW-TOs
Op-Ivy
Turbo Charger

Post by Op-Ivy »

Thanks for the pics Vince. I take it that the switch could be driven by a simple electrical toggle switch? Just what I was looking for! A nice clean switch to turn it on and off. Already have a nice one :)
1990 TD Jetta - 490,000Km
Vincent Waldon
Turbo Charger

Post by Vincent Waldon »

No problemo... I'm procrastinating pulling the head off my TDI and discovering how much trouble I'm really in, so this was a fine diversion.
Op-Ivy wrote:I take it that the switch could be driven by a simple electrical toggle switch?
Yuppers.

Do hagar a favour... label your dash switch "smilage" and post a picture when you've got it working??!! :lol:
Vince

2001 silver TDI Jetta Malone Stage 1.5 , 2001 blue TDI Jetta SBIII 216s Malone Stage 3
1970 Bay Window bus

Gone but not forgotten: 1969/1971 Beetles, 1969/1974 Westies, 1979 Rabbit, 1986 TD Jetta, 1992 gas Jetta, 1994 TD Jetta

Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

That first picture of the vacuum switch shows what I use for a high vacuum on the fuel line warning light/buzzer. It's adjustable but it's a sensor not a switch or solenoid.
Here's one from a MK2:

There is actually 2 solenoids stuck together.
I used it for a boost controller.
'91 Golf gasser converted to a 12mm pump, M-TDI.
'84 1.6TD Rabbit with a VNT-15 turbo, still setup to run on vegetable oil.
'84 GTI with 1.7TD pistons and intercooled.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
Op-Ivy
Turbo Charger

Post by Op-Ivy »

Well I picked up two from the junkyard today. But disappointingly, they both don't work...

I won't have a chance to go back until next weekend too. :(

However I did pick up a tiny little princess auto toggle switch and I made a little something! :) Getting there...

1990 TD Jetta - 490,000Km
Vincent Waldon
Turbo Charger

Post by Vincent Waldon »

Fatmobile wrote:That first picture of the vacuum switch shows what I use for a high vacuum on the fuel line warning light/buzzer. It's adjustable but it's a sensor not a switch or solenoid.
Oh dear... good catch... thought I'd seen a valve version but ETKA shows them used as a sensor for sure. :wink:
Vince

1970 Bay Window bus

hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Old guy Old Rabbit.

Post by hagar »

SAGA : Op-Ivy if we were living side by side ? you would now be driving the best "TUNED" JETTA in British Columbia.

But it can be done this way.

LDA ? . what is it ? . It is an air pressure servo motor that moves a apecial Full load stop , exactly like the one we adjust with a screw. (I think about them as being in series.) . The air pressure comes from intake manifold. , I call it an Inter-Cooler. Manifold.. Range ? about zero to 15 PSIG. . The way we TUNE the engine Maximum pressure ? about 6 PSIG.
Vincent would you add a picture of the LDA and an exploded drawing ?. Then I can explain how things work.
TIA.

To adjust the LDA it is necessary to remove top "BE CLEAN" . There is one outside adjustment , a screw on top..

The "Worm" and Loren taught me about the LDA., years ago.

hagar.
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Old guy Old Rabbit.

Post by hagar »

SAGA. : rabbit_man I take no pleasure out of contradicting you OK ? BUT you wrote on my Post.

"Leaning" it out will simply cause it to idle, "richening" it will cause acceleration/revving, or if excessively "rich" it will smoke black. so said rabbit man.

Sorry you are dead wrong.

The best way to control the "mixture" is with your right foot, said rabbit man WRONG again.

Simply said the "FOOT" does not control fuel delivery , the Governor does that.

On my post every body is welcome NO matter how wrong so keep Thinking and let the rest of us , in on it. As for Op-Ivy ? he is very advanced in diesels..

hagar.

PS : Alaska is a good study place this time of year. . SO ? hit the BOSCH books.
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Old guy Old Rabbit.

Post by hagar »

SAGA : rabbit man and ALL . I do understand that seeing that Idle stop simply moves throttle-arm back and forth . , is the same as your right foot ? EH ? let me say it as LOUD as I can NO IT IS NOT.

It is way way more complicated than that.

hagar.
tripseven
Diesel Freak

Re: Old guy Old Rabbit.

Post by tripseven »

hagar wrote:SAGA : rabbit man and ALL . I do understand that seeing that Idle stop simply moves throttle-arm back and forth . , is the same as your right foot ? EH ? let me say it as LOUD as I can NO IT IS NOT.

It is way way more complicated than that.

hagar.
With all due repsect, for those of us that would like to know "let me say it as LOUD as I can" please explain :)
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Old guy Old Rabbit.

Post by hagar »

SAGA : tripseven EXPLAIN ? I did you must connect the dots..

The discussion was about MIXTURE EH ? . SO ? before all the newbie eyes glaze over , let me explain MIXTURE again for the manyeth time.

It takes about 11 pounds of AIR to burn 1 pound of FUEL. . The scientists have a word for that (xxxxx?). iit never happens in the REAL world.

SO ? MIXTURE ? it is a ratio Fuel to Air.

Our small OTTO cycle diesels shine in this discussion. . we drive circles around even the most sophisticated gasser engines.. Hep hep hurra for Rudolf Diesel. . At this point hagar is really strutting his stuff. SO ? by all means , put my feet to the fire. A diesel can burn any Mixture , a Gasser can NOT

hagar.
tripseven
Diesel Freak

Post by tripseven »

Discussion was about mixture
Yes, I see hagar...I got side tracked on the topic.
TonyB
Cetane Booster

Post by TonyB »

Hagar, I believe the word for the ideal fuel/air mixture is "stoichiometric".

TonyB
Jacksonville, FL
81 Dasher 1.6na (work in progress)
surfcam
Turbo Charger

Post by surfcam »

BMW makes some gasser engines with no throttle and direct injection. They still have spark plugs but they are getting diesel attributes.
99 TDI Jetta (Z1 engine code)
94 Grand Caravan
89 Dodge Gold Stream B class
http://www.antiquedollhouseofpatterns.ca/
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Old guy Old Rabbit.

Post by hagar »

SAGA : Our little governor is incredible sensitive WHY ? one reason is that it runs in Overdrive . .nearly twice mani shaft speed, . Control collar moves only about 1/8 of an inch Amerikan from idle shut off to full power.

Can we adjust "Mixture" ? yes but it is very complicated.. The governor is not a variable speed governor SO ? we have no way of ajusting mixture as such inside the Idle band, . , we have to work from Idle band to Maximum RPM point.. Lots of fun to be found in the operating band. . . That is where we adjust the full load stop.. Infinite amount of settings there.

STO ICHI OME TRIC ?

hagar..

PS : got to hit the hay. (more tomorrow)