Old guy Old Rabbit---both Happy.

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

tripseven
Diesel Freak

Re: Old guy Old Rabbit.

Post by tripseven »

hagar, have you checked your smileage based on a full tank of fuel yet since this is how most folks do it? It would be interesting to see if you get the same smilage :)
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Old guy Old Rabbit.

Post by hagar »

SAGA : tripseven answer is yes yes and yes . I sense a doubting thomas ,SO I am doing one better. I fuel up at a BIG new commercial card-lock pump where I get a computer readout . Yes I will gladly provide the printouts., Further I looked at how accurate the Odometer is , it is dead on balls accurate.

Tires ? 44 Psig front 30 rear... AV oil is compensated for..
Variatios over time ? 60 MPG to 65 MPG..

hagar.
tripseven
Diesel Freak

Post by tripseven »

I dont doubt your getting 60+ mpg. Especially after trying your wax trick with an increase of 4 mpg last Summer in my na. Checking mpg by sucking a few mils of fuel out of a jar will most likely show different results than running a full tank :)

Hopefully I will have a TD motor by this weekend and wondering if the full hillbilly treatment was worth the time and effort is why I ask.
No, I dont need to see receipts :roll: I trust an ol codger like hagar :lol:
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Old guy Old Rabbit.

Post by hagar »

SAGA : A lot of you Amerikans slugged your way from Normandy to Berlin Germany during WAR # 2. it was tough sledding EH .? . SO on your way home on the Queen Mary you see the statue in N.Y. harbor . does she not become sacred to you ? . Then you understand hagars feelings about the " Little Mermaid " at "Lagelinie" in Københavns harbor..

Langelinie (English: Long Line) is a pier, promenade and park in central Copenhagen, Denmark, and home of the statue of The Little Mermaid. The area has for centuries been a popular destination for excursions and strolls in Copenhagen. Most cruise ships arriving in Copenhagen also berth at Langelinie Pier.[1]

Ships of the Line used to berth here. SO ? there is talk about sending her to CHINA ? for a world exposition , I hagar say DO NOT TOUCH HER .

Yes Hans . Kristian . Andersen is a Hero IMHO. voted # 1 Dane a few years back.

hagar.
bscutt
Turbo Charger

Post by bscutt »

I hate to say how long it's been since I saw that mermaid in Kobenhavn but I still remember it. Funny how so many things you see as a child stick with you for life but I couldn't tell you what I did last week!
Bob

'06 Jetta TDI
'82 Rabbit 1.6NA
Honda, 99 GMC Suburban, '41 Chevy Coupe
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Old guy Old Rabbit.

Post by hagar »

SAGA : The statue was commissioned in 1909 by Carl Jacobsen, son of the founder of Carlsberg, who had been fascinated by a ballet about the fairytale in Copenhagen’s Royal Theatre and asked the primaballerina, Ellen Price, to model for the statue. The sculptor Edvard Eriksen created the statue, which was unveiled on 23 August 1913. The statue’s head was modelled after Price, but as the ballerina did not agree to model in the nude, the sculptor’s wife Eline Eriksen was used for the body.

rabbit_man said : That's the dumbest thing I ever heard. . (consider yourself blessed).

Rabbit Man RELAX don't you see the IMHO ? am I not entitled ? I think I am and so are you.. my dear Amerikan friend. EH ?.

A corner garage mechanic any where Amerika ,Kanada etc. IN GENERAL is not fit to do a Rabbit Diesel., read my lips. (or read the forums)..

A lot a big lot of my Amerikan friends consider kissing a statue of the virgin mother as kissing the mother herself . they look at it like I look at the Mermaid.. Some like the "Blarney" stone Some day the Nam Wall will be sacred IMHO.

I still think the lady in the harbor of the Big Apple is number UNO # 1. , what about you ?.

hagar.
bscutt
Turbo Charger

Post by bscutt »

BTW speaking of the mermaid, today is 205th birthday of Hans Christian Anderson. Just today's piece of trivia.
Yes Hans . Kristian . Andersen is a Hero IMHO. voted # 1 Dane a few years back.
Bob

'06 Jetta TDI
'82 Rabbit 1.6NA
Honda, 99 GMC Suburban, '41 Chevy Coupe
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Old guy Old Rabbit.

Post by hagar »

SAGA : us guys and this Forum are so blessed with such a diversity of people.. We are connected to space due to a member in Huntsville Alabama driving a Jetta Diesel. . I think he is a "Load-master" he does shiftwork in Huntsville

One day way back I stood on the sundeck waving and The ISS took pictures of hagar's area and his Rabbits. , neat EH ?.
They were in clear view from here. . Furthermore I can talk to the crew up there . I am a Radio HAM and the ISS has a HAM station on-board . ---We come a long way.

Any of you guys from Huntsville know him ? . Please pipe up . I lost track. TIA.

hagar.
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Old guy Old Rabbit.

Post by hagar »

SAGA : Bisquit : I do remember a grown up guy telling how his family went on a Van trip in Eropa when he was a small boy.. (I like stories like that)..

My "Epoxy" procedures will be described here or elsewhere. . Read my lips it really works..

Scotch Weld 3M. Structural Adhesive Tube Kit 2216/BA Gray Net 3.3 fl . oz/97 ml That is what I use.. BUT I go easy on the hardener. . We need a soft seal.

hagar.
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Old guy Old Rabbit.

Post by hagar »

SAGA : the "EPOXY" procedure was dreamed up during the High
sulfur times. .Analyzing about a hundred failed Head-Gaskets , it was
obvious that sulfur-dioxide gas turned to sulfurous acid that crept in
under gaskets ,creating a leak. After some years it was discovered
that , not only did it work BUT it filled in gaps and scratches as well.
Other uses ? YES only your imagination is a limit. On a VW
Head it will even seal cracks valve to valve stuff. I have seen it
glow in the dark , and still it held.. I am sure 3M would like to
visit hagars.

hagar.
vwtyp133
Turbo Charger

Post by vwtyp133 »

hagar... how do you spread & even out the epoxy on the deck... a bondo-type flexible spreader, or what?

How long do you allow it to cure before introducing it to the headgasket & tightening it down?

Do you do a similar treatment to the head's mating surface?

Any subsequent problems with the1000kM re-torque?

Thanks.

J.R.
SoCal
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Old guy Old Rabbit.

Post by hagar »

SAGA : vwtyp133 good questions.. I smear it on with a finger wrapped in cling-wrap or eq. very thin coating.

The cure depends on temp but 10 minutes or to tacky (not sticking to finger).(not critical)

I then install 2 long dowels (made from old head-bolts) .

NO I do not do the head on VW not required since we use low sulfur fuel.. But on Iron heads I do..

Later tightening of bolts ? no problems..
Footnotes : we are not trying to glue head to block. Later remove at hagars ? never any problems.

hagar.
vwtyp133
Turbo Charger

Post by vwtyp133 »

Thanks for the tips. It sounds like a good practice to utilize, especially if there's any questions of possible overheating in a block's history. I'll definitely do that in the near future with an engine assembly that will using a 11mm block, trying for efficiency through turbo & intercooler, not any max-power aspirations. Head studs, just the same, of course.

I've had good success using copper spray on both sides of the head gaskets, with about 1/2 hour drying before installation. However, there's no way it can seal a scratch in a block deck against combustion pressures, as well as good epoxy.

That 3M epoxy material may/may not be similar to a product (that used to be?) sold to repair non-structural cracks, like leaks, in cast iron. Can't remember the product's name, but IIRC I bought it from Eastwood. It seemed to work OK on a minor porosity in a cast iron American engine block, but not at all on a magnesium alloy air-cooled VW case that I wanted to salvage. (Probably too great an expansion rate, and the case had previously endured some beating from a connecting rod, although the crack didn't appear, internally or externally, until about 35,000 miles after becoming part of a 'new' rebuilt engine assembly.)

hagar, would you predict any problems with the 3M epoxy use in an engine that's destined for WVO or other biofuels? How about propane fumigation?

Thanks.

J.R.
SoCal
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Old guy Old Rabbit.

Post by hagar »

SAGA : vwtyp133 sorry your entry is too complex for me to comment on (Medical excuse mostly).

My normal modus operandi is to tell what hagar did or will do . NOT to tell anybody else what to do. . Yes it is a chickenpoop cop-out , like the IMHO thing..

The most surprising discovery I made was the amazing " Plasticity" of the block alloy. (not simple cast Iron).

Yes all metals will yield to pressure. .This one without cracking.. SO ? the prep work on deck becomes complex..

We can't push the metal down around bolt holes so we have to remove it. (easy).

hagar..

PS : my "Mermaid" is special to my life . Like the "Lady" to you.
surfcam
Turbo Charger

Post by surfcam »

Sounds like your into stoning. Just buy a case of beer and 10 boilermakers will show up and show you how it's done. The only problem is your 1.6 may sound like a steam turbine.
Last edited by surfcam on Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
99 TDI Jetta (Z1 engine code)
94 Grand Caravan
89 Dodge Gold Stream B class
http://www.antiquedollhouseofpatterns.ca/