vent windows

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

Hexar
Cetane Booster

Post by Hexar »

Fatmobile wrote:Hexar,
You didn't mention removing the window.
The verticle bar supports the window and has to be removed before the wing will come out.
Thanks for the reply Fatmobile.

I took the glass window off, the "rubber" stuff around the trim. For the vertical bar, I took the upper screw off, and drilled off the rivet holding the vertical bar to the door frame.

Last Sat, I managed to get the vent window off. :)

I guess, I did not apply "enough" force earlier fearing to break anything, but it is good now.

Thanks again!
Dallas
Cetane Booster

Post by Dallas »

After contacting several salvage yards and walking through weeds up to my arm pits in another, I have put that idea on hold and will now work up the parts for plan B. B is to continue along the idea that works quite well now for the drivers side window. That is a small stick/tube with a soft sticky pad on each end and a small board fastened to the instrument cluster with double stick tape. When not needing the vent or closeing the door for parking I insert the stick between the window and dash, closeing the door, wedges the stick in place and closes the vent tightly so it does not whistle. I am going to make a similar but longer set up for the passenger door so I can use that vent for air flow also. Maybe I will be able to post pictures after done if it works.
Dallas
81 Rabbit
80 GL 1100 Gold Wing
92 GL 1500 Gold Wing
Bormie
Cetane Booster

Post by Bormie »

I recall seeing the bolt in type wing windows on newer cabriolets (late 80's).

They are 2 door so I don't know if they are the same size as a 4 door rabbit.

The early cars are getting harder to find around here. I have been wanting to replace mine since the glue failed when I tried to slip a shim between the lock and frame to tighten it up to lessen wind noise. There are more pressing items at the moment so I passed them by.

I glued my old one back together with rear view mirror adhesive.
Dallas
Cetane Booster

vent windows

Post by Dallas »

Well, I finally got around to doing a 'fix' on my vent windows so I can not die from excess heat in the car. I made triangle shaped pieces of wood about the same size as the ends of the instrument cluster, drilled holes part way through to accomadate the old experienced arrows that I was going to throw away anyway. I then cut the arrows to length for each side and useing a chair leg insert in the arrows where they go against the windows. I then mounted the wood with double stick tape to the dash and put the arrows into the holes and BINGO now the windows open and close and I don't have to worry about the handles breaking off and letting the windows come open in the snow and rain. Some day I will have one of my kids show me how to post pictures for everyone to see.
Dallas
81 Rabbit
80 GL 1100 Gold Wing
92 GL 1500 Gold Wing
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

Pics or it didn't happen :lol:
'91 Golf gasser converted to a 12mm pump, M-TDI.
'84 1.6TD Rabbit with a VNT-15 turbo, still setup to run on vegetable oil.
'84 GTI with 1.7TD pistons and intercooled.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
81caddyGuy
Diesel Freak

window glues

Post by 81caddyGuy »

I have been in close dealings with a custom industrial adhesive company for quite some time and my be coming to a close once and for all on how to permanatly glue the vent windows in if you either do not have bolt ons available/can not get rear view adhesive to stick. I should have there mix next week and they are 99% sure it will work. They have multiple tests showing a 3500 psi bond strength on steel, aluminum and ferrous pot metals (bottom hinge) to tempered glass so I am excited to try it and see as I have been trying to get the vent windows glued back on since I got my caddy.
'81 caddy NA 1.6L all original w/317,000 miles. SOLD. now i drive a 35th anniversary camaro... OHH thats what horse power feels like.. LOL
bscutt
Turbo Charger

Post by bscutt »

Let us all know how that works out. I have glued these a few times over the years and they might hold for a year at best. Mine are now siliconed shut which is irritating but beats having them fall out

I considered trying to drill through a spare set of glass and then match drill the hinges and put fasteners through but I haven't worked up the nerve to try it
Bob

'06 Jetta TDI
'82 Rabbit 1.6NA
Honda, 99 GMC Suburban, '41 Chevy Coupe
VWCaddy
Missing Linkz

Post by VWCaddy »

bscutt wrote:Let us all know how that works out. I have glued these a few times over the years and they might hold for a year at best. Mine are now siliconed shut which is irritating but beats having them fall out

I considered trying to drill through a spare set of glass and then match drill the hinges and put fasteners through but I haven't worked up the nerve to try it
Tried that once, glass will shatter the instant the drill bit breaks the surface.

Problem I have seen with the adhesives is bonding to the metal. My last time with the rear view mirror, I roughed up the back side of the metal part before applying the glue and it seemed to hold up. I used a Dremel tool with cutoff wheel and carved grooves in a crisscross pattern to give it something to hold onto.
'82 VW Caddy, 1.9D engine, FN tranny w/ Quaife, Missing LinkZ shift linkage
81caddyGuy
Diesel Freak

rough it up

Post by 81caddyGuy »

I have noticed the same thing the to vent bracket has the grid pattern and it holds better, it is also steel. the bottom pivot is a herdened pot metal with very little feric value. The company i am dealing with has been super helpfull and said this adhesive will hold up to exreme temperature fluctuations, vibration (for us diesel people), weather including complete submersion for extended periods of time as well as that 3500psi bond strength. I have tryed 15 difrent kinds of glues, adhesives, epoxies, urathanes and have had auto glass installers actually pay me for not beeing able to stick it. if this stuff works i know of a lot of people who will be very happy including me. :lol: :D :lol: :D
'81 caddy NA 1.6L all original w/317,000 miles. SOLD. now i drive a 35th anniversary camaro... OHH thats what horse power feels like.. LOL
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

Someone used white epoxy on a car I got,...
I could not break it loose.

But it wasn't a small dab, they had it molded around the hinge.

Maybe if this works, we can drive down the price of bolt-through wings, ha.
'91 Golf gasser converted to a 12mm pump, M-TDI.
'84 1.6TD Rabbit with a VNT-15 turbo, still setup to run on vegetable oil.
'84 GTI with 1.7TD pistons and intercooled.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
81caddyGuy
Diesel Freak

price drivers

Post by 81caddyGuy »

Yes, someone said to make a little mold and fill it with JBweld :roll: . I wanted to slap them so fricking hard. I told them to look at my car (81caddy) and look at your piece of shit (~92~ cavalier with paint falling off) and tell me why I would want some rigged up bulls :shock: t that looks like it came off your car on my window?? they were speechless. Needless to say the bolt in windows allow a lot of wind noise unless you leave them shut. I personaly say if this works there will be no need for bolt on windows. :wink:
82vdub
Turbo Charger

Post by 82vdub »

I reglued the drivers side on ole 82 about 4 years ago. I think I roughed up the pot metal piece and it's still stuck in there. Don't open them though......
Everybody else lists their cars here - but not me.

I have too many to count
81caddyGuy
Diesel Freak

rough it up

Post by 81caddyGuy »

Yeah thats where my issue is. I use mine so i need something strong because i push it past 90 degrees so it rams air up my leg. My pasenger side is stuck with rearview mirror adhesive but it does not get used, vibrates open sometimes but never any pressure on it. I do need the lock tabs though if any one has a left and right let me know.
81caddyGuy
Diesel Freak

got the glue

Post by 81caddyGuy »

I got the glue today so i might give it a go tommorow. maybe this weekend. we shall see. so excited about getting it fixed just to wore out after work.
81caddyGuy
Diesel Freak

Post by 81caddyGuy »

Dallas wrote:After contacting several salvage yards and walking through weeds up to my arm pits in another, I have put that idea on hold and will now work up the parts for plan B. B is to continue along the idea that works quite well now for the drivers side window. That is a small stick/tube with a soft sticky pad on each end and a small board fastened to the instrument cluster with double stick tape. When not needing the vent or closeing the door for parking I insert the stick between the window and dash, closeing the door, wedges the stick in place and closes the vent tightly so it does not whistle. I am going to make a similar but longer set up for the passenger door so I can use that vent for air flow also. Maybe I will be able to post pictures after done if it works.
I was in pepboys localy and found one of the Help! series of parts called vent window locks. they run $6.99 here and i am gonna pick some up soon so i will post a part number. they slpi over the back side of the glass where the factory tab goes/was and a locking bar screws on via a thumb wheel screww to hold those babys tight. better than one of thses there dang ol' sticks man.