Vacuum Pump Honeycomb Valve

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

avocado
Turbo Charger

Vacuum Pump Honeycomb Valve

Post by avocado »

Greetings all,

In pulling the brake booster hose off my 1.6TD, I seem to have broken the plastic piece that goes through the top plate of the vacuum pump. The piece appears to just be an air port, but has a weird, white-honeycomb (ceramic) innard. Is there a source for a new one of these? Or am I safe just replacing it with a PCV elbow from another car, then attaching the hosing and check valve to that?

Any thoughts would be appreciated...
Currently working on shoehorning a 1.6 TD out of a 1984 Jetta into a 1971 VW Camper (Hardtop)

"Huppity Hup! Rev! Rev! GO GO GO GO!"
82vdub
Turbo Charger

Post by 82vdub »

If this is the rotor style vacuum pump (the small canister style) instead of the large drum style diaphram style pump, the honeycomb material is likely to try to keep oil separated from the air that moves through this line. I believe some people have had issues with oil getting into the brake booster and messing up the diaphram in the brake booster. You may want to get a replacement unit to keep this material in the line.
Everybody else lists their cars here - but not me.

I have too many to count
avocado
Turbo Charger

Post by avocado »

82vdub wrote:If this is the rotor style vacuum pump (the small canister style) instead of the large drum style diaphram style pump, the honeycomb material is likely to try to keep oil separated from the air that moves through this line. I believe some people have had issues with oil getting into the brake booster and messing up the diaphram in the brake booster. You may want to get a replacement unit to keep this material in the line.
Ah ha! Excellent point!

I believe, however, that it is the diaphram style, and basically just has a rubber diaphram under the plate. I'll verify. I wonder if VW used the same valve on both?
Currently working on shoehorning a 1.6 TD out of a 1984 Jetta into a 1971 VW Camper (Hardtop)

82vdub
Turbo Charger

Post by 82vdub »

There will also be a check valve inside the vacuum pump. What you see may be the back of a check valve. I haven't looked inside these fittings for a very long time, and probably didn't even look when the last time I serviced these units.
Everybody else lists their cars here - but not me.

I have too many to count
avocado
Turbo Charger

Post by avocado »

I'm fairly certain that the check valve is just above this piece, connected by a 2" (5 cm) piece of hose, so unless it's redundant, I think I'd probably go with your first assessment that it's there to limit oil flow.

But wouldn't oil only get out of the top of the pump if the diaphram were to rupture? (Pardon me if that's a stupid question, I'm fairly new to this era VW engines.)

Regardless, any idea on where someone would source the OEM valve? I ping'd Jack and he said he didn't have any (assuming I was properly explaining what I needed). The only other things I've seen is for a later Jetta, and while I doubt it's the same, the bulbous end looks very similar to what I need to replace:
http://www.mjmautohaus.com/catalog/prod ... ts_id=2786