91 Jetta windshield

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

coke

91 Jetta windshield

Post by coke »

So the time has finally come to fix my leaking windshield. Now, I seem to remember posting about this before and being told the windshield gasket is not replaceable. That the new units are glued in.

Its the gasket/seal thats leaking, and surprisingly, it looks like mine may be missing something. My other 91 Jetta has a rubber sealing gasket that goes around the entire windshield thats about an inch or so wide. My diesel doesn't have it. (gas one was built in mexico, too) This leads me to believe that mine is missing something, and that explains the leaks.

It leaks bad, all down the drivers side and all along the bottom of it in behind the dashboard. I was going to call a glass shop and have them reseal it but I need some expertise from you people about whether or not there is indeed some sort of rubber seal or something that mine might be missing. My diesel doesn't have the 1 inch wide rubber seal all the way around it. I thought maybe that might be why its leaking, because its missing.

Anyone got some info on the windshields and sealing on the 91 Jetta?
82vdub
Turbo Charger

Post by 82vdub »

You can run masking tape around about 1/8" away from the rubber gasket, on both the sheetmetal and on the windshield. Before doing that, clean the windshield, gasket and metal well with some substance that flashes dry (I use lighter fluid). Then, get some black RTV silicone and run that around on both sides of the gasket running your finger around to make it as smooth as you can. While the RTV is still wet, pull off the masking tape. You will have created a new gasket for the glass, and after a few weeks, the shine will wear off and it will look just like the windshield was factory installed.
Everybody else lists their cars here - but not me.

I have too many to count
DanHoug
Turbo Charger

Post by DanHoug »

my 91 has the 'missing seal' look to the perimeter also.... must be the shape of the gasket.

-dan
'91 Jetta NA on WVO for 120k miles
'91 Jetta ECO
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Leaks to be fixed.

Post by hagar »

coke and ALL : I absolutely like eh Love ? my Rabbits. . BUT I live in the Pacific Rain-forest. SO ? "LEAKS" PIA leaks.

I like 82vdub's RTV fix for the front window , I would try that before driving her over a cliff for the Insurance.The old rubber gaskets were a blessing for us DIY types ,now the new glued in windows are a PIA for a DIY. . Good news is that yes we can seal the leaks ALL OF THEM.

hagar..

PS : Fatmobile has some parts numbers of interest.
vwtyp133
Turbo Charger

Post by vwtyp133 »

Sometimes those small tubes of extra-runny silicone goo have worked for my 'leakers'.

Description of self-seal process here http://vwdieselparts.com/wshield.htm

Googling ‘windshield seal’ delivered this http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/searc ... windshield That seems fairly consistent with what I've seen at some glass shops the last few years.

Best wishes on your fix.
J.R.
SoCal
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

On the MK2s there's a big difference between German and Mexican made models.
On my Mexican '91 Golf I used the cheap one.
On the German '87 GLI,.. I used the cheap one,.. but was supposed to use the spendy trim that was on it,.. worked anyway.

The Mexican trim just fits around the windshield before you put it on, protects the edge.
The German has a metal strip under something.
Not sure how it works,.. too cheap to find out.
'91 Golf gasser converted to a 12mm pump, M-TDI.
'84 1.6TD Rabbit with a VNT-15 turbo, still setup to run on vegetable oil.
'84 GTI with 1.7TD pistons and intercooled.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
coke

Post by coke »

Well that explains the difference. I'm calling the rolling glass shop tomorrow to make sure he has the correct kit for my vehicle, and probably taking it up to him Friday if I get it back together and don't suffer any major problems.
Quantum TD
Turbo Charger

Post by Quantum TD »

Be careful with glass shops. Sometimes they sell a universal one for Golf/ jetta. They fit the same, but the Golf one has the tab on the glass for the rearview, which you won't need.

The last idiots that installed my windshield were too stupid/lazy/afraid to pull it off. I used to get payless to install my glass. They would take a propane torch to the tab with some channel locks on the sides. They'd heat it just enough to get the glue soft and then pull it off without damaging the glass.

If you don't want to deal with that, or stare at a useless tab, make sure they have the correct glass in stock.
coke

Post by coke »

I'm not having a new windshield installed. Just having mine resealed.
duffer
Turbo Charger

Post by duffer »

Fatmobile wrote:On the MK2s there's a big difference between German and Mexican made models.
On my Mexican '91 Golf I used the cheap one.
On the German '87 GLI,.. I used the cheap one,.. but was supposed to use the spendy trim that was on it,.. worked anyway.

The Mexican trim just fits around the windshield before you put it on, protects the edge.
The German has a metal strip under something.
Not sure how it works,.. too cheap to find out.

I have a 1986 US-built Westmoreland Golf.

The windshield has a rubber gasket with a
(plastic?) cover over the top.

Probably cost a fortune if it has to be replaced.
Blue 1986 Golf N/A Bought it in '94. Never been on the road since.
Green 1991 Jetta TD. Bought it 6 months ago.
Hasn't been on the road since.
coke

Post by coke »

The glass guy guessed 40 bucks for the "factory" trim, but he has universal stuff that he says looks fine and works great. We'll see when I get to him or he gets to me. :)
Quantum TD
Turbo Charger

Post by Quantum TD »

They make universal stuff. It comes in varying widths. If you have rust around your windshield frame (and you probably do, living in Maine), get the wider stuff. I think the stuff they use on Fords is a bit wider, and will cover to the edge of the rain gutter.

Also, make sure the SEAL the frame after they cut out the glass. SIKA makes a killer sealer that blocks cut metal from rust. Make sure they apply a few coats of whatever they put in there. When they cut out the glass, they cut the metal, and 10 years later your windshield frame is rotted out.
coke

Post by coke »

Yeah this guy is pretty good. He's highly reputable, and very accommodating.
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

Problem I've seen with the universal stuff,
on a Rabbit,
is it covers too much of the windshield.
Not enough glass is in contact with the urethane.
'91 Golf gasser converted to a 12mm pump, M-TDI.
'84 1.6TD Rabbit with a VNT-15 turbo, still setup to run on vegetable oil.
'84 GTI with 1.7TD pistons and intercooled.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
coke

Post by coke »

He was supposed to order the stock "molding" so as long as it isn't 90000 dollars I'll probably just have him put that in.

I've got body work to do too, rocker panels are rusting through. :(