Speedometer works, but odometer does not..

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

strokermaverick
Glow Plug

Speedometer works, but odometer does not..

Post by strokermaverick »

1986 Golf. Is there any way to fix the odometer, maybe by taking the speedomemter apart ? Have any of you had this problem and repaired the odometer, without replacing the cluster? Thanks in advance, for any responses and info.
Ephesians 2:8,9
1986 Golf diesel
VWCaddy
Missing Linkz

Re: Speedometer works, but odometer does not..

Post by VWCaddy »

'82 VW Caddy, 1.9D engine, FN tranny w/ Quaife, Missing LinkZ shift linkage
strokermaverick
Glow Plug

VWCaddy, thank you for the link. Since I now know that this is a typical problem , I will remove the cluster and make the repair. Once again, thanks a million.
1986 Golf diesel
Quantum TD
Turbo Charger

Post by Quantum TD »

That thread is for Rabbit. Golf is similar, but may use a soft METAL gear on the end. If you have the metal gear, you need to remove the gear, pinch the hub-bore hole (I usually hit it in 3 places with a nail-set to pinch the metal a bit), and then press it back onto the shaft.

1986 may still be in the plastic era, but by and large, all MK2s used a metal gear.

Also, be careful when working on the MK2 gears. You may screw up the odometer gears. They get locked in one way. If you screw them up, you'll have a real time lining them up properly again.
strokermaverick
Glow Plug

Quantum TD wrote:That thread is for Rabbit. Golf is similar, but may use a soft METAL gear on the end. If you have the metal gear, you need to remove the gear, pinch the hub-bore hole (I usually hit it in 3 places with a nail-set to pinch the metal a bit), and then press it back onto the shaft.

1986 may still be in the plastic era, but by and large, all MK2s used a metal gear.

Also, be careful when working on the MK2 gears. You may screw up the odometer gears. They get locked in one way. If you screw them up, you'll have a real time lining them up properly again.
Thank you sir, for the great information and insight. I'll try to be very careful. I'd hate to go through all the trouble, and still not have a working odometer.
1986 Golf diesel
strokermaverick
Glow Plug

VWCaddy and Quantum TD; thank you both for your information/help, on the odometer/trip meter. They are now repaired and working properly. I was surprised at how simple it was to perform the repair, once I got started. All in all it took about 45 minutes to remove the cluster, make the repair, and re-install the cluster. I took it down the road and it worked fine. I can't thank you both enough. :D

By the way, the gear was metal.
1986 Golf diesel