Front motor mount - different styles?

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

the vegenator
Turbo Charger

Front motor mount - different styles?

Post by the vegenator »

My front motor mount was collapsed and distorted, so I picked up a new one, but it's a completely different style.

The old mount looks like the rear PS mount, but the new one is a distinctly different style, and it looks like it requires a different bracket too. Has anyone else run into this problem? I'm curious what extra parts I might need to order.
- Mike Harpring

'85 VW Jetta NA Diesel/WVO
Quantum TD
Turbo Charger

Re: Front motor mount - different styles?

Post by Quantum TD »

They probably sold you the mount for a Later German MK2. There are 2 different styles.

Some early MK2 cars had a front mount which has a metal center with a bonded rubber and an outer metal ring (should look like the REAR mount on a MK2). Most of the later and German-made MK2 cars used a "hydraulic" front mount. There will be a stud for a 15mm nut on top, and 2 bolt holes for the subframe on the bottom (one 17mm and one 13mm). Sounds like they shipped you either the early American front mount, or a rear (pass side) mount.

It's hard to say which. The only mount on a MK2 that didn't vary was the driver's side rear mount. They used a bonded rubber ring style on front and pass rear mounts, and "hydraulic" mounts on front and pass rear mounts.

I'd reference the site/store where you got it and get the other. Either way, there were only 2 styles. So, return it and get the other.
the vegenator
Turbo Charger

Post by the vegenator »

I bought it from the Volksdokter in Louisville... we looked through the pictures in the computer and couldn't find any other styles. I'm willing to try and use it as long as the bracket that accompanies it isn't too expensive.

A VW part number on the earlier mount would help. I found that style mount on a cheap parts dealer site, but it doesn't show the VW number. Anyone have ETKA at their disposal?
- Mike Harpring

Quantum TD
Turbo Charger

Post by Quantum TD »

Here's the hydraulic front mount:
Part Number: 191 199 279 C

Here's the bonded front mount:
Part Number: 191 199 279 E

Here's the bracket to use with either of the mounts above:
Part Number: 191 199 273 C
It's made by Meyle, and you can be sure that fitment sucks. I've got a ton of used ones if you want one.

Here are the PASS REAR MOUNT OPTIONS:

Here's the bonded PASS side rear mount:
Part Number: 191 199 262 A

And the Hydraulic PASS side rear mount (used on 16V GLIs)
Part Number: 535 199 262

It looks like the major manufacturers no longer offer the side-bolt style front motor mount: just the stud type. If you want to look it up in ETKA, you'd probably have to look it up for an early MK2 Golf gasser (1985-1987). Those weird brackets were only found on the early cars AFAIK.
You can try BFI or someone else if you wanted to try a urethane mount, but I wouldn't recommend it for a diesel.
Last edited by Quantum TD on Tue May 24, 2011 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
the vegenator
Turbo Charger

Post by the vegenator »

This is a great collection of images! I'll add mine when I make it back home this weekend so that it's comprehensive.
- Mike Harpring

the vegenator
Turbo Charger

Post by the vegenator »

Here's the original front motor mount, part number 191 199 279 A, along with the bracket that it fits in, which attaches to the front crossmember.. This mount was made in 1984, and you sure can tell just from lookin at it!

I bought the hydraulic mount, which came without the bracket. I will defintely need one of those. PMing you now.
- Mike Harpring

82vdub
Turbo Charger

Post by 82vdub »

They hydraulic mount is pressed out of the old bracket, and the new mount is pressed back in. If you do this yourself, there's a particular way that the new mount must be pressed in, so the weight is properly loaded on the mount.
Everybody else lists their cars here - but not me.

I have too many to count
the vegenator
Turbo Charger

Post by the vegenator »

I'm ditching the old style mount/bracket in my picture, since I got a good deal on a newer style hydraulic mount. Q-TD is selling me an extra bracket that will work with the new mount. So, turns out I won't need to worry about messing with my old mount.

I actually only found one online vendor that sells the older style mount, which would be pressed into my bracket, for much more than I'm willing to pay. From all I can tell, the hydraulic mount is far superior to the older style mount.
- Mike Harpring