fuel line vacuum guage and clear fuel lines.

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

bbob203
Turbo Charger

fuel line vacuum guage and clear fuel lines.

Post by bbob203 »

did a search could find much in the way of how to install a vacuum guage aside from putting it in line on the into the ip fuel line. is it just a matter of getting a guage some vacuum tubing and t'ing into the line and running it to the dash?

in regards to installing clear lines... my stock ones are pretty cloudy and I think the joint from black line to clear line it leaking and no longer air tight allowing bubbles to get into my fuel.. if I wanted to replace them I've read that clear poly is probably the best should I run it straight from filter to ip or use black hose for sat the fist 8-10 inches off filter then run clear from there on out up to the ip? also I've tried to remove my current line from the ip in banjo bolt but to no avail have been able to remove it... suggestions or pics would be much appreciated. I also started thia thread in order for others to be able to search key words and find some definitive answers on stuff. ill do more searching and post and pertinant info I find in previous threads.
91 jetta gl na german built
91 jetta gl ecodiesel
Quantum-man
Turbo Charger

Re: fuel line vacuum guage and clear fuel lines.

Post by Quantum-man »

Dip the banjo and line into hot water I think will work.

Never needed a vacc gauge in between the pump and the fuel filter. In the UK fuel filters almost never block. They are changed for fun here. Not sure what it tells you, other than a good pump and a bad filter. Certainly not a bad pump and an unknown filter. I guess you will see change from 'normal'. I like a vacc gauge in the boost line to see blocking air filter...
"I'm not here to help... I'm here to Pro-Volke"

Be like meeee...Drive a Quantum TD
...The best work-horse after the cart...

Quantae grow on you...but Rabbits are like roses...
... girls like em ;o)

Only one Darwin, Einstein, Poe and Verne.
That is why if you listen, you will learn:
From the one and only Quantum-man,
Who sees the worms from outside of the can.

7 Quantae in 20 years; 4 dead and 3 TD's still alive [2 wagons & 1 fastback] oh and a GTD :o)
bbob203
Turbo Charger

Post by bbob203 »

I'm gonna be burning waste oils in the 'beater' jetta I'm buying in a couple days one tank minimal modification gonna be experimental car and people have said a vacuum guage is good to determine fuel filter life.
91 jetta gl ecodiesel
bbob203
Turbo Charger

Post by bbob203 »

will simply pushing the poly line on to the barb of the banjo be sufficient for keeping it from popping off?
91 jetta gl ecodiesel
82vdub
Turbo Charger

Post by 82vdub »

I've purchased the cheap (like $.19/ft) vinyl lines and use them on my cars. They aren't fuel rated and will get old and brittle, but it's an easy replacement. I would suggest using an aligator clamp on any fuel line connection. I would run the clear line directly from the IP to the filter. No need to run two different types of lines here and splice them together somehow.
Everybody else lists their cars here - but not me.

I have too many to count
bbob203
Turbo Charger

Post by bbob203 »

can anyone tell me the o ring size for filter pre heater I don't want to have to pull the dang thing in the lowes parking lot to take it in to find a fit. I currently don't have one on there and I think its the source of some of my air bubbles. I've thought about just getting a pre mid 85 filter without the pre heater and just connecting the two lines together but haven't gotten to that point yet. plus those filters are line 10 bucks cheaper.
91 jetta gl ecodiesel
bbob203
Turbo Charger

Post by bbob203 »

went to napa asking for clear 5/16 tubing they had no idea what I needed and basically told me they couldn't help me.
91 jetta gl ecodiesel
82vdub
Turbo Charger

Post by 82vdub »

try a hardware store or a farm type store. Our local Fleet Farm carries a variety of tubing, in the plumbing section of all areas.

Do you know what NAPA stands for? No Auto Parts Available.................... 8) A nickname friends of mine gave the local small town NAPA store when I was a kid. Small town stores didn't have parts stocked like larger cities, so most of the time you went there, they'd tell you they could have it there by 5pm. Of course, if you needed it at 5pm, you'd go at 5pm............
Everybody else lists their cars here - but not me.

I have too many to count
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

If you are going for urethane, get it from the Honda motorcycle shop. It's very flexible even in the cold and not too spendy.
Probably looking for 1/4" ID tubing right? Not 5/16".
Clear vinyl at the local hardware store.
'91 Golf gasser converted to a 12mm pump, M-TDI.
'84 1.6TD Rabbit with a VNT-15 turbo, still setup to run on vegetable oil.
'84 GTI with 1.7TD pistons and intercooled.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
bbob203
Turbo Charger

Post by bbob203 »

I got 5/16 id fuel line for the inbound line from filter to ip should I have got 1/4 in id? I havenr installed anything yet. wemt with vinyl already think I'm not fond of it because of how stiff it has become sitting in my car in the cold.
91 jetta gl ecodiesel
CarlosA
Turbo Charger

Post by CarlosA »

Yeah the vinyl will be stiff really quick but works fine for troubleshooting. I got some greenish tinted line from CarQuest - a place I never go to, but its holding up well & hasn`t gotten stiff with diesel sitting in it for 3-4 months so far. I can stop in and figure out the exact name of the line if anyone is interested.

1/4" ID for the banjo's. I had clamps running until my fuel system was fixed now I just slip it on and it seals up good.
mtran
Diesel Freak

Post by mtran »

Or you can use PA tube for pneumatic tools,same tupe is used for track brake.
About 0.9 e for 8/6mm tube.
I`ll improve my English
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

I'm not sure that stuff is clear.

I'm not really sure what size the fittings are for a '91, with the return looped to the filter.
If it doesn't leak at the o-ring; recirculating fuel can have benefits so I don't think I'd switch to another style,.. at least until this one starts to clog.

Since the urethane is more flexible, it can fit on a bigger barb.
Putting a clamp on tubing can pinch it and cause it to leak.
I try to find a piece of rubber hose to slide over the end, then the tubing goes on the barb, then the rubber hose is slid up to the end.

3/8" rubber hose fits over 1/4" tubing so tight that a clamp isn't usually needed. but if one is needed it can ride on top of the rubber hose and not pinch up a section of tubing.
You might be able to see it in some of the pics of stuff I've posted in the project fora.
'91 Golf gasser converted to a 12mm pump, M-TDI.
'84 1.6TD Rabbit with a VNT-15 turbo, still setup to run on vegetable oil.
'84 GTI with 1.7TD pistons and intercooled.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
bbob203
Turbo Charger

Post by bbob203 »

Fatmobile wrote:I'm not sure that stuff is clear.

I'm not really sure what size the fittings are for a '91, with the return looped to the filter.
If it doesn't leak at the o-ring; recirculating fuel can have benefits so I don't think I'd switch to another style,.. at least until this one starts to clog.

Since the urethane is more flexible, it can fit on a bigger barb.
Putting a clamp on tubing can pinch it and cause it to leak.
I try to find a piece of rubber hose to slide over the end, then the tubing goes on the barb, then the rubber hose is slid up to the end.

3/8" rubber hose fits over 1/4" tubing so tight that a clamp isn't usually needed. but if one is needed it can ride on top of the rubber hose and not pinch up a section of tubing.
You might be able to see it in some of the pics of stuff I've posted in the project fora.
thanks fat.. that's the exact setup I will use that's a good idea. I also sourced some of that probably identical tubing today at a speed shop near me. how does it hold up?
91 jetta gl ecodiesel
fj40dave
Cetane Booster

Post by fj40dave »

I'm getting ready to reassemble the motor and install.....thanks for the information here!

I've attached a pic of the fuel line mentioned....it looked pretty crummy.

What is the thought about support for this line along it's path.....just hanging there doesn't seem too well engineered.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.