Cure for engine Tick

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

bbob203
Turbo Charger

Cure for engine Tick

Post by bbob203 »

Got an annoying tick on my turbo eco engine. Any remedies or cures?
91 jetta gl na german built
91 jetta gl ecodiesel
Quantum-man
Turbo Charger

Re: Cure for engine Tick

Post by Quantum-man »

Have you had the head skimmed?
Try going down hill in gear;, then see if it persists with the ignition switched off...
"I'm not here to help... I'm here to Pro-Volke"

Be like meeee...Drive a Quantum TD
...The best work-horse after the cart...

Quantae grow on you...but Rabbits are like roses...
... girls like em ;o)

Only one Darwin, Einstein, Poe and Verne.
That is why if you listen, you will learn:
From the one and only Quantum-man,
Who sees the worms from outside of the can.

7 Quantae in 20 years; 4 dead and 3 TD's still alive [2 wagons & 1 fastback] oh and a GTD :o)
82vdub
Turbo Charger

Post by 82vdub »

Kind of the same as another current thread asking a similar question. Rotate the engine by hand, with a wrench on the crank bolt to see if you feel any valve to piston contact (slipped camshaft timing). Otherwise, it could be a dirty injector or your timing slipped a bit (not really sure how this would happen except by the cam pully not being tight), or possibly even dirty fuel, a partially blocked fuel supply, filter, or air getting into the lines. When's the last time the fuel filter was changed? I've had old one's (that presumably had water in them) have a little more injector/engine noise, that went away when the filter was changed.
Everybody else lists their cars here - but not me.

I have too many to count
bbob203
Turbo Charger

Post by bbob203 »

Could a bent valve cause a tick? All the parameters your mentioned 82 check out. Timing dead on all new filter no air. Im hoping if i put some diesel purge thru it and maybe a quart of atf in the crank case on advice from someone on another forum. If this engine didnt tick it would be absolutely perfectly running.
91 jetta gl ecodiesel
82vdub
Turbo Charger

Post by 82vdub »

A bent valve should show up on the hand rotation method, as some type of restriction. If a valve is bent, it's either hitting a piston, the head funny, or it could be sticking in the valve guide. If it's sticking in the valve guide, it's likely hitting the piston.

on my old winter 86 Jetta with a hydraulic head, there was a funky upper end tick that I just assumed was something with the lifters. It ran for 4 years (and still does), but it rusted to the point where I didn't want to fall through the floor (literally).

I have too many to count
bbob203
Turbo Charger

Post by bbob203 »

82vdub wrote:hydraulic head, funky upper end tick that I just assumed was something with the lifters. It ran for 4 years (and still does),.
I think this might be it according to stuff i've read elsewhere i guess ill try some stuff and live with it if i cant solve it. Maybe I will pull the head once it pisses me off long enough get it rebuilt and throw on head studs and a metal gasket. Whats a machine shop ussually charge for a head rebuild ive never had it done.
91 jetta gl ecodiesel
Quantum-man
Turbo Charger

Post by Quantum-man »

Some clashes don't show up at hand cranking speed. I am the lucky owner of one :shock:
I know it's mechanical because it is present even if I coast down a 3 mile hill in 5th with ignition off...[Eliminates any residual fuel that one trained local mechanic said it could be.]
Either way, it has been 'destroying' my car for 50000 miles. Valve clash occurs either side of TDC.

... girls like em ;o)

7 Quantae in 20 years; 4 dead and 3 TD's still alive [2 wagons & 1 fastback] oh and a GTD :o)
bbob203
Turbo Charger

Post by bbob203 »

Quantum-man wrote:Some clashes don't show up at hand cranking speed. I am the lucky owner of one :shock:
I know it's mechanical because it is present even if I coast down a 3 mile hill in 5th with ignition off...[Eliminates any residual fuel that one trained local mechanic said it could be.]
Either way, it has been 'destroying' my car for 50000 miles. Valve clash occurs either side of TDC.
Yea ive seen pics of people who pulled a head off a running engine an lo and behold the valves were leaving indents on the pistons for umpteen miles.
91 jetta gl ecodiesel
Quantum-man
Turbo Charger

Post by Quantum-man »

bbob203 wrote:
Quantum-man wrote:Some clashes don't show up at hand cranking speed. I am the lucky owner of one :shock:
Yea ive seen pics of people who pulled a head off a running engine an lo and behold, the valves were leaving indents on the pistons for umpteen miles.
An interesting experiment... At TDC crank, with cam pulley slackend, Vice grips show a tolerance of perhaps +-10 degrees. Retighten sprocket, move 10 degrees +or - on the crank, then release sprocket, and the ability to rock the cam positively and negatively respectively is greatly reduced; or in my case zero movement.

I caused this problem by overdoing my otherwise successful head skim 50000miles ago. Ironically this faithful engine may yet outlive the car, as someone in high heels slipped their foot off the clutch of a mk3 Golf and crunched my car on the offside front corner under the front lights. I shall rename her Christine in the hope that she can pop back into shape :(

... girls like em ;o)

bbob203
Turbo Charger

Post by bbob203 »

Quantum-man wrote:
bbob203 wrote:
Yea ive seen pics of people who pulled a head off a running engine an lo and behold, the valves were leaving indents on the pistons for umpteen miles.
An interesting experiment... At TDC crank, with cam pulley slackend, Vice grips show a tolerance of perhaps +-10 degrees. Retighten sprocket, move 10 degrees +or - on the crank, then release sprocket, and the ability to rock the cam positively and negatively respectively is greatly reduced; or in my case zero movement.

I caused this problem by overdoing my otherwise successful head skim 50000miles ago. Ironically this faithful engine may yet outlive the car, as someone in high heels slipped their foot off the clutch of a mk3 Golf and crunched my car on the offside front corner under the front lights. I shall rename her Christine in the hope that she can pop back into shape :(
did that happen today?
91 jetta gl ecodiesel
TylerDurden
Turbo Charger

Post by TylerDurden »

Seriously,
I'd try a "miracle in a bottle" (DIY or commercial) before getting out the toolbox. Most of that stuff can't hurt, but being distracted with the timing belt off could leave new marks on motor parts.

FWIW, I take my heels off to drive... much safer and more comfy.
Have a nice day.

'91 Jetta ECOdiesel TD - clean & complete (less motor/tranny) for sale

'82 Westy Vanagon 1.9 N/A - 23.5mpg
'86 Jetta TD - 45-50mpg
'81 Dasher Wagon 1.6 N/A - 52mpg
'84 Wasserboxer - DOA, parts donor
'94 Passat wagon VR6
'03 Jetta TDI wagon 230K, 52.3mpg
'89 Jetta N/A - 51mpg
'82 Caddy 1.6 N/A - Sold
bbob203
Turbo Charger

Post by bbob203 »

I still get the tick with ignition off in gear rolling down a hill.
91 jetta gl ecodiesel
TylerDurden
Turbo Charger

Post by TylerDurden »

I'd try a crankcase flush or additive.
Have a nice day.

'91 Jetta ECOdiesel TD - clean & complete (less motor/tranny) for sale

'82 Westy Vanagon 1.9 N/A - 23.5mpg
'86 Jetta TD - 45-50mpg
'81 Dasher Wagon 1.6 N/A - 52mpg
'84 Wasserboxer - DOA, parts donor
'94 Passat wagon VR6
'03 Jetta TDI wagon 230K, 52.3mpg
'89 Jetta N/A - 51mpg
'82 Caddy 1.6 N/A - Sold
82vdub
Turbo Charger

Post by 82vdub »

You can use Seafoam additive in the fuel and oil. Interesting stuff, as the oil is as thin as water when you add it to the oil.

I have too many to count
air-cooled or diesel
Turbo Charger

Post by air-cooled or diesel »

tick also could be exaust leak at any point, usually at exaust manifold or down pipe. or a bad lifter can tick too. check these out. may not be a bend/clashing valve. but may be. rule out these 2 things.