1981 1.6D rabbit freshening

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

bigger daddy
Diesel Freak

Re: 1981 1.6D rabbit freshening

Post by bigger daddy »

New problem..... the pump refuses to shut off when warm and the key is off (replaced the switch) Re-builder thinks an injector is hanging up I think the shut off is bad. Dillema 2: glow light stayed on all the time even though 0 volts at busbar. Checked solenoid (brand new) full of water dried off re installed no light issue car starts but wont shut off again. Stalled it to kill it. Go out this morning and I have 0 power 1 Volt on a brand new battery. I have a dead short and I think alternator and replacing the relay any ideas
82vdub
Turbo Charger

Post by 82vdub »

Disconnect the battery, charge it, and then reconnect, while removing fuses one by one until you don't have a draw on the battery. You can use a test light between the battery and terminal, and don't forget that the clock will show some power use, so will a radio that has a dedicated hot to a memory circuit.

Chances are your relay(s) are shorted and it's draining the battery. Find out which one(s) and what circuits.
Everybody else lists their cars here - but not me.

I have too many to count
bigger daddy
Diesel Freak

Post by bigger daddy »

I still am worried about the shut off issue because it refuses when warm to shut off.
82vdub
Turbo Charger

Post by 82vdub »

Will it shut off if you physically remove the wire from the fuel shutoff solenoid? My guess is that it will, which means the fuel shutoff is working, but you have an electrical short somewhere. Coupled with your other electrical short issues, my overall guess is that your shutoff problem is an electrical issue, probably in a relay under the dash.
Everybody else lists their cars here - but not me.

I have too many to count
CarlosA
Turbo Charger

Post by CarlosA »

I had the opposite issue on my car, but it makes sense that it could be your problem.

My ignition switch would turn on the solenoid when the key is turned, so was impossible to diagnose when it would then remove power to the solenoid _while_ cranking. I diassembled the whole mess and combined parts from two non-matching pieces i got from a local parts place, now it works fine.

So in your case it stands to reason that the solenoid is staying energized because of wear in the contacts internally in this chunk of plastic.

Try what 82vdub mentioned and then start looking around under the dash for stuff that is energized.
bigger daddy
Diesel Freak

Post by bigger daddy »

It was (it appears) the GP relay. after inspecting, the entire internals had melted so there is the short. removed relay and BAM no short so another relay is coming. hopefully this gremlin doesnt resurface
bigger daddy
Diesel Freak

Post by bigger daddy »

Well I have 3000 miles on the rebuild and short of a couple very minor issues it is running fine. I took it to the north side of Chicago last week about 390 miles round trip. Ran 47 mpg on the NA 1.5, burned less than .25 qt of oil and actually did pretty well keeping up with traffic
bigger daddy
Diesel Freak

Post by bigger daddy »

officially have 14000 on the rebuild with no major issues as of today
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

Good news, thanks for the update.
Reading back through this page:
The car would not shut off when warm because the glow plug relay was shorting out and keeping the stop solenoid powered-up?
'91 Golf gasser converted to a 12mm pump, M-TDI.
'84 1.6TD Rabbit with a VNT-15 turbo, still setup to run on vegetable oil.
'84 GTI with 1.7TD pistons and intercooled.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
bigger daddy
Diesel Freak

Post by bigger daddy »

bad solenoid, replaced with a working old one good as new. any suppliers of OS pistons???? 1.5 CK