AHHH! Two issues all happened at once!

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

82vdub
Turbo Charger

Re: AHHH! Two issues all happened at once!

Post by 82vdub »

That sounds pretty bad. That's not a fuel related issue, IMO.

I'd check the timing as colby said. Also, you may want to turn the engine over by a wrench on the crank to see if there's physical contact between valves and pistons. Somethings definately up with that. Either that, or something vibrated loose, but I think there's more than that. You can get a mechanical oil pressure gauge and install that to make sure that you have oil pressure, and what it is. Check the timing of it though first.
Everybody else lists their cars here - but not me.

I have too many to count
thexbrothers
Cetane Booster

Post by thexbrothers »

Alrighty,

I just confirmed the timing - it is perfect for the head, crank, and injection pump. No more air leaking into the input line going from the fuel filter to the injection pump. The fuel filter isnt leaking air. The head is getting oil. Still running loudly, maybe a tiny bit quieter though! When I am running the engine I am getting air in the return line from the pump to the tank. It seems to go in spurts. There will be a lot of air and then it will taper off slowly for the next 10 seconds, then no air for a second or two, then lots of air again that tapers off. What does that mean? I have a feeling it is directly related to it running so loudly.

Also, when I try to drive it, it has pretty much no power. It can barely move on its own. Im thinking its not getting enough fuel because of the air in the lines/pump and thats why it is running so loud and not having any power. Thoughts?

Thanks guys!
colby
Site Administrator

Post by colby »

The shaft seal on the front of the pump can let air leak in causing all sorts of issues. Try running it on a bottle of fuel separate from your cars fuel system. Hang a bottle up above the IP and let it gravity feed into the pump, plum an inlet and return line into the bottle and see what happens. That would eliminate the rest of your fuel system as a source for air and lock the problem down to just the injection pump.

Colby
thexbrothers
Cetane Booster

Post by thexbrothers »

82vdub wrote:That sounds pretty bad. That's not a fuel related issue, IMO.

I'd check the timing as colby said. Also, you may want to turn the engine over by a wrench on the crank to see if there's physical contact between valves and pistons. Somethings definately up with that. Either that, or something vibrated loose, but I think there's more than that. You can get a mechanical oil pressure gauge and install that to make sure that you have oil pressure, and what it is. Check the timing of it though first.
I turned the crank over by hand and couldnt feel anything that seemed different than before. Didnt seem to feel anything touching. I might go double check in just a minute.
thexbrothers
Cetane Booster

Post by thexbrothers »

colby wrote:The shaft seal on the front of the pump can let air leak in causing all sorts of issues. Try running it on a bottle of fuel separate from your cars fuel system. Hang a bottle up above the IP and let it gravity feed into the pump, plum an inlet and return line into the bottle and see what happens. That would eliminate the rest of your fuel system as a source for air and lock the problem down to just the injection pump.

Colby
Do you think that is necessary even though there is no air in the line leading into the pump, just the line leaving the pump? It seems to me that should eliminate anything but the pump or am I thinking wrong?
colby
Site Administrator

Post by colby »

Hm, good point. I had missed that. I never concerned myself with fuel leaving the pump. But, then again I never really had any major issue with a fuel system on any of my diesels other than my fathers 98 TDI which turned out to be a crappy fuel filter that wasn't sealing correctly. I'll reread from the beginning and see what else I can come up with.

Colby
thexbrothers
Cetane Booster

Post by thexbrothers »

colby wrote:Hm, good point. I had missed that. I never concerned myself with fuel leaving the pump. But, then again I never really had any major issue with a fuel system on any of my diesels other than my fathers 98 TDI which turned out to be a crappy fuel filter that wasn't sealing correctly. I'll reread from the beginning and see what else I can come up with.

Colby
Thanks! I really appreciate the help!
colby
Site Administrator

Post by colby »

I listened to your video. To me, it doesn't sound fuel related at all.

Who did your rebuild and what did it entail? It sounds mechanical, like a bad rod bearing or something. I know thats not what you want to hear, but. The only other thing I can think of is, the issue with your clutch. What did you determine to be the cause of that? That engine is really noisy, and cranks slow as a dog turd so I wonder if its something clutch related.

Colby
thexbrothers
Cetane Booster

Post by thexbrothers »

colby wrote:I listened to your video. To me, it doesn't sound fuel related at all.

Who did your rebuild and what did it entail? It sounds mechanical, like a bad rod bearing or something. I know thats not what you want to hear, but. The only other thing I can think of is, the issue with your clutch. What did you determine to be the cause of that? That engine is really noisy, and cranks slow as a dog turd so I wonder if its something clutch related.

Colby
Hmm, I have no clue if it could be clutch related, thats a good point! Its always cranked that speed though, but maybe its been an ongoing issue.

I had a machine shop that is in Raleigh NC who actually specializes in older VWs rebuild my engine. Completely new everything. The head and block were machined and everything else internal was replaced. Luckily I have a warranty on the engine, so it will just be a pain to take it apart again, shouldnt be too big of a deal getting it fixed.

It just started happening out of nowhere, no signs ahead of time. Is that normal?
colby
Site Administrator

Post by colby »

Well, thats why they have a warranty. Sometimes unforseen issues crop up. Something is definitely up and I do not think it is fuel related at all. That sounds entirely mechanical. How did you end up fixing your clutch? You said you weren't able to lift the lever up by hand which isn't abnormal, but I'm wondering if the two are related, or separate issues. Did they rebuild the cylinder head as well?
thexbrothers
Cetane Booster

Post by thexbrothers »

colby wrote:Well, thats why they have a warranty. Sometimes unforseen issues crop up. Something is definitely up and I do not think it is fuel related at all. That sounds entirely mechanical. How did you end up fixing your clutch? You said you weren't able to lift the lever up by hand which isn't abnormal, but I'm wondering if the two are related, or separate issues. Did they rebuild the cylinder head as well?
It ended up working when I went out to check it the next day. Not really sure what the issue was.

They rebuilt the head too. All new internals and a new cam.

I am hesitant to say it is mechanical for sure, bscutt said his has done this a few times and it sounded like a gasser that was about to throw a rod. For him he just ran it for a little while and it went away. I think im going to see if he has any insight as to what his was like and if mine is the same issue.
colby
Site Administrator

Post by colby »

I've had the issue he had as well. I had an injector that hadn't been fired open in a while, and it was either sticking open or air bound. It sounded really bad, like a jackhammer. But in your case, it doesn't sound like that, at least to me. You can isolate whether or not its injectors using a mechanics stethoscope. Just be careful, thats really loud and you'll likely get quite an earful.
82vdub
Turbo Charger

Post by 82vdub »

I think you can leave the fuel issue to rest for now.

Pull the drain plug and see if there's metal in it. If not, then it's possible the issue is not inside the engine. If so, then there's something wrong inside the engine. Ironically the clutch goofed up at the same time, so it's possible it could be clutch related.
Everybody else lists their cars here - but not me.

I have too many to count
thexbrothers
Cetane Booster

Post by thexbrothers »

82vdub wrote:I think you can leave the fuel issue to rest for now.

Pull the drain plug and see if there's metal in it. If not, then it's possible the issue is not inside the engine. If so, then there's something wrong inside the engine. Ironically the clutch goofed up at the same time, so it's possible it could be clutch related.
Thats a good point, Ill drain the oil sometime in the next day or two.. Dont have anything to drain it in right now.
colby
Site Administrator

Post by colby »

Just out of curiosity, what kinda oil filter are you running on that car?