Brake Symptoms

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

Thomas M
Diesel Freak

Brake Symptoms

Post by Thomas M »

Pumping the brake pedal frequently, say 3 or 4 times in 5 seconds, when coming to a stop from high or low speed, I notice that the pedal gets harder to depress, seems to have less stroke and the braking effectiveness diminishes quite a lot with each pedal push. It seems that if I then lay off of the brake pedal for a while and continue driving, everything returns to MY normal brake pedal feel and effectiveness.
Here are pics of the pump type, brake booster and vacuum output holding 29 inches. It holds for a while after shutting off the engine.
The vacuum line is good. No fluid leaks on or around the booster/master. Brake proportioning/equalizer near left wheel is dry.

If I let the car sit, engine off, for a while and then, with the engine still off, pump the pedal with my hand, it does the same thing....reduced stroke and hard feel. I hear a little hissing near the booster mounting as I pump it with my hand.

Image Image Image

I haven't bled the brakes for some time, but I thought that would just cause a "mushy" feel to the brake pedal. The pedal doesn't go "to the floor".

Comments, please.

ftm1776
Last edited by Thomas M on Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
:roll: 1991 Mk2 Jetta non-turbo, 1.6 Diesel, engine code ME, hydraulic lifters,
5 Speed 020 AWY 04120 Transmission
320,000 miles, Original Owner; Vancouver, WA

Located in: Vancouver, Washington
Still Looking for Engine Rebuild Options in Portland, Or Area as of August, 2021
TylerDurden
Turbo Charger

Re: Brake Symptoms

Post by TylerDurden »

I would check the vacuum as you repeatedly use the pedal (while engine running)... see if it drops. It may be booster time. I've put one in almost every MK1, MK2 I've owned.

If it happens even when testing at standstill, it is probably not fluid boiling or moisture ingress.
Have a nice day.

'91 Jetta ECOdiesel TD - clean & complete (less motor/tranny) for sale

'82 Westy Vanagon 1.9 N/A - 23.5mpg
'86 Jetta TD - 45-50mpg
'81 Dasher Wagon 1.6 N/A - 52mpg
'84 Wasserboxer - DOA, parts donor
'94 Passat wagon VR6
'03 Jetta TDI wagon 230K, 52.3mpg
'89 Jetta N/A - 51mpg
'82 Caddy 1.6 N/A - Sold
82vdub
Turbo Charger

Post by 82vdub »

If your engine has a lot of blowby, the output of the vane style pump pushes the air into the crankcase to create the vacuum. If you have high block pressures, this can deminish the braking system over several attempts at moving the pedal. Do you have a lot of air coming out of the valve cover if you pull the oil fill cap while it's running?
Everybody else lists their cars here - but not me.

I have too many to count
Quantum-man
Turbo Charger

Post by Quantum-man »

Thomas M wrote:Pumping the brake pedal frequently, say 3 or 4 times in 5 seconds, when coming to a stop from high or low speed, I notice that the pedal gets harder to depress, seems to have less stroke and the braking effectiveness diminishes quite a lot with each pedal push. It seems that if I then lay off of the brake pedal for a while and continue driving, everything returns to MY normal brake pedal feel and effectiveness.
Here are pics of the pump type, brake booster and vacuum output holding 29 inches. It holds for a while after shutting off the engine.
The vacuum line is good. No fluid leaks on or around the booster/master. Brake proportioning/equalizer near left wheel is dry.

If I let the car sit, engine off, for a while and then, with the engine still off, pump the pedal with my hand, it does the same thing....reduced stroke and hard feel. I hear a little hissing near the booster mounting as I pump it with my hand.

Image Image Image

I haven't bled the brakes for some time, but I thought that would just cause a "mushy" feel to the brake pedal. The pedal doesn't go "to the floor".

Comments, please.
Hi,
1) Vacuum should last overnight. If it dissipates after say an hour, then you have a leak in the vac line, or brake booster somewhere.

2) If with the engine off, the pedal gradually stiffens with lesser and lesser travel, then the good news , is that your brake lines etc are good, as what I have described is normal. If bouncy, then there is air in the system.

3) Quickly running out of steam when going along implied in the case of my car, that the sump oil level was low, as the pump is centrifugal but oil pressure assisted. This is needed because the vanes are very light and need to be helped with oil behind them.

4) reading nearly 30 is good and implies that vanes are sealing reasonably.

5) Check sump oil level, open up pump, and ensure that vanes are free to slide out to the wall. Check that the gauze filter isn't blocked.
You may check leading edge of each vane.
If chipped, any of the other 3 leading edges can be substituted, thus essentially giving the pump endless life.
"I'm not here to help... I'm here to Pro-Volke"

Be like meeee...Drive a Quantum TD
...The best work-horse after the cart...

Quantae grow on you...but Rabbits are like roses...
... girls like em ;o)

Only one Darwin, Einstein, Poe and Verne.
That is why if you listen, you will learn:
From the one and only Quantum-man,
Who sees the worms from outside of the can.

7 Quantae in 20 years; 4 dead and 3 TD's still alive [2 wagons & 1 fastback] oh and a GTD :o)
Thomas M
Diesel Freak

Post by Thomas M »

TylerDurden wrote:I would check the vacuum as you repeatedly use the pedal (while engine running)... see if it drops.
Tyler,

Idling, I get about 29 inches of vacuum. Pumping the pedal 5-6 times progressively with engine running reduces the vacuum to about 5 inches(correction). It returns to 29 inches in about 30(correction) seconds.

I removed the oil cap to try to reduce crankcase pressure....results were the same as above.

Trouble??? Does it sound like a new booster is on the list?????

Thanks, Thomas
Last edited by Thomas M on Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Still Looking for Engine Rebuild Options in Portland, Or Area as of August, 2021
Thomas M
Diesel Freak

Post by Thomas M »

82vdub wrote:If your engine has a lot of blowby, the output of the vane style pump pushes the air into the crankcase to create the vacuum. If you have high block pressures, this can deminish the braking system over several attempts at moving the pedal. Do you have a lot of air coming out of the valve cover if you pull the oil fill cap while it's running?
OK. So the vacuum pump pulls air from the booster and empties it into the crankcase. The greater the pressure in the crankcase, as if the combustion gas is leaking past the rings ("blow-by"), the less effective the vacuum pump action will be at delivering vacuum to the brake booster. Is this, more or less, correct???

I checked the output of the oil fill opening with the engine running. I can't tell if it is excessive or not, but there is a stream of oily air rising. Should there be some gas exhausting from the fill port???? Can you give some sort of a more graphic description as to what I am looking for??? What is "a lot"???? Should there be no blowby???? 290,000 miles on the beasty.

I had a diesel that apparently had so much blowby that the engine would "run away" at freeway speeds and bellow a nice black cloud to the rear!!! Is that where I am headed???? I recently had an overtemp situation that caused my heater core to explode and the car had to be "stop-cool-go" limped home for about 50 miles.

Latest mileage a week ago was 46mpg(US gallons); estimated oil consumption based on 1000 miles is 1/2 quart(US measure).

Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

Any idea what your oil pressure is?
Like Quantum_man mentioned; Those vane pumps are effected by oil pressure.
'91 Golf gasser converted to a 12mm pump, M-TDI.
'84 1.6TD Rabbit with a VNT-15 turbo, still setup to run on vegetable oil.
'84 GTI with 1.7TD pistons and intercooled.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
bscutt
Turbo Charger

Post by bscutt »

I found that when I replaced my master cylinder that the seal in the booster was wet and dirty so I cleaned that before reinstalling the new MC. Vacuum has been much better since then, leading me to believe it was leaking around the pushrod seal. Might be worth checking that area and you can sometimes pull the MC forward without disconnecting everything.
Bob

'06 Jetta TDI
'82 Rabbit 1.6NA
Honda, 99 GMC Suburban, '41 Chevy Coupe
Thomas M
Diesel Freak

Post by Thomas M »

Fatmobile wrote:Any idea what your oil pressure is?
Like Quantum_man mentioned; Those vane pumps are effected by oil pressure.
NO. Been meaning to install a gauge soon.

What is the normal oil pressure for the 1991 MK2 1.6 non-turbo engine???

Would an 80 psi gauge do the trick????
Last edited by Thomas M on Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thomas M
Diesel Freak

Post by Thomas M »

bscutt wrote:I found that when I replaced my master cylinder that the seal in the booster was wet and dirty so I cleaned that before reinstalling the new MC. Vacuum has been much better since then, leading me to believe it was leaking around the pushrod seal. Might be worth checking that area and you can sometimes pull the MC forward without disconnecting everything.
Good tip. I'll check that should I have to take the booster out.

TylerDurden
Turbo Charger

Post by TylerDurden »

I checked my 86TD... pretty much the same behavior, but it might take 7-8 pumps on the pedal to get a sense the pedal was harder to press.

Vac reading 25-30" hg dropping to ~5" hg after six fast presses.
Have a nice day.

'91 Jetta ECOdiesel TD - clean & complete (less motor/tranny) for sale

'82 Westy Vanagon 1.9 N/A - 23.5mpg
'86 Jetta TD - 45-50mpg
'81 Dasher Wagon 1.6 N/A - 52mpg
'84 Wasserboxer - DOA, parts donor
'94 Passat wagon VR6
'03 Jetta TDI wagon 230K, 52.3mpg
'89 Jetta N/A - 51mpg
'82 Caddy 1.6 N/A - Sold
surfcam
Turbo Charger

Post by surfcam »

I had problems with my stepvan vacuum asist brakes. My guess is that they work much the same. The problem with the VW throw away unit is you don't know what pressure is on the firewall side of the booster is. The vacuum has to be released from this side for the asist to work when brakes are applied and vacuum sealed in on the engine side. I've been tempted to drill a hole on the firewall side of the booster but don't know if I could seal it up again.
99 TDI Jetta (Z1 engine code)
94 Grand Caravan
89 Dodge Gold Stream B class
http://www.antiquedollhouseofpatterns.ca/
vwtyp133
Turbo Charger

Post by vwtyp133 »

Could also be a bad one-way valve to the booster. Underhood heat, oil fumes & plastics often don't play well together for extended periods.
J.R.
SoCal
Thomas M
Diesel Freak

Post by Thomas M »

Tyler,
Sounds pretty much the same as mine.......not going to worry about it.

Pretty hard to tell if the one-way valve near the vacuum pump or the booster diaphragm might be leaking........I think I'm ok for now.

Thanks

bc
Turbo Charger

Post by bc »

Sorry to jack this thread, but are these types of vacuum pumps pictured here re-buildable? I know mine is shot. :D
'83 diesel vanagon
'85 diesel Jetta
'86 diesel Golf