Front Axle Torque

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

Caddyman
Cetane Booster

Front Axle Torque

Post by Caddyman »

What is the front axle torque supposed to be on an 81 Rabbit Pickup with the 1.6NA? Couldn't find it in my manual. Did a search and the results were 19 pages long.
tylernt
Turbo Charger

Post by tylernt »

The big 30mm axle nut is 173 ft-lb (pg 10 of Manual Transmission section in the Bentley).

You should always use a new nut, too.
'82 Diesel Rabbit • '88 Fox (RIP) • '88 Jetta (work in progress)
Caddyman
Cetane Booster

Post by Caddyman »

Thanks!

The right wheel nut had a lot more than 173 ft lbs. I had my truck on jack stands and the nut had so much torque it would rock my entire truck on the jack stands. Had to get my brother to hold the truck at the tailgate while I used a 1/2" ratchet with a two foot cheater to get it off.
tylernt
Turbo Charger

Post by tylernt »

Reminds me of the time a tire shop parked my car on the lift pad a little too far forward and my hair stood on end when the car tipped forward and almost fell off as the guy used a ratchet to remove the lug bolts (never did occur to me to ask why; I guess the guy next to him was using the impact). Fortunately he backed off in time and the car rocked back to level. I think I had to change my underwear when I finally got home.

I guess that's why the book says to break those things loose with the tires on the ground. :wink:
'82 Diesel Rabbit • '88 Fox (RIP) • '88 Jetta (work in progress)
goofy golf
Diesel Freak

Post by goofy golf »

Yep, I very much agree with the car being on the ground to break the front axle nut loose. Last year I bought one of those cummins tools 1/2 drive air impact guns. You could hold it on there all day and it wont budge.

So I spent a bigger chunk of change on a ingersoll rand 2135 ti 1/2 gun, and in about 6 seconds the axle nut is off. But for $19.99 you get what you pay for, and it's a great light duty gun.

Ditto on what tylernt said, replace with a new nut.
86 golf diesel 1.6 : 300,000 miles

96 dodge ram 4x4 2500 5.9 cummins 12 valve

79 wheel horse tractor 10hp hatz diesel engine