Heat shield problem

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

Krank
Diesel Freak

Heat shield problem

Post by Krank »

My #4 heat shield wouldn't come out the last time I had the injectors out. It was like it had been glued into place. The injector itself was much more difficult to remove as well, but I could get something on that to rotate, as opposed to the heat shield.
Anyone ever gone through this out there? What's the easiest way to get it out? What do I need to correct once it's out? Is my injector leaking and then the biodiesel drying on the injector and working like a glue or something?
'81 Rabbit N/A
'82 Audi 4000 Diesel (a vw in luxery clothing!)
82vdub
Turbo Charger

Post by 82vdub »

Yep. Go out in the garage and find a screw or bolt that will screw into the opening and take channel locks or plyers and pull on the screw. You may want to spray some WD40 (or something similar) to maybe loosen it up. Some of these can be sticklers to get out. I've done the screw/bolt method before with success.

It's had years of heat/expansion placed on it, so it gets stuck sometimes. I wouldn't worry about the heat shield, but I'd put some anti-sieze on the injector when you put it back in the head.
Everybody else lists their cars here - but not me.

I have too many to count
Krank
Diesel Freak

Post by Krank »

Actually, it's been in the engine less than a year... I would guess around 8 months. I tried grabbing it with an easy out, but couldn't get a really dependable bite on it. I was afraid of using a screw for fear of getting shavings into the combustion chamber. Is that the accepted practice that everyone uses, though?
'81 Rabbit N/A
'82 Audi 4000 Diesel (a vw in luxery clothing!)
82vdub
Turbo Charger

Post by 82vdub »

I used the smallest screw that would screw into the opening in hopes that I wouldn't get shavings in the engine. I think I pushed the screw sideways to try to lodge it loose. I think there has been other posts on removing these. Do a search and see.
Everybody else lists their cars here - but not me.

I have too many to count
3Bunnys
Turbo Charger

Post by 3Bunnys »

Sheet metal screw works great.. probably #12 about 2" long from Lowes.. don't thread in too far, there is a glow plug under there!!!!!!... I used a crowbar hooked under screw head,,, came out easy as Hagar's apple pie ala mod.... R
82 1.6 N/A
83 1.6 N/A
84 1.6 N/A
82 FORD 3610 Diesel Tractor
82 CASE 580D Loader/Backhoe w/Cummins
83 IH 274 Tractor w/Mitsubishi Diesel
88 Chevy C-70 w/Cat 3208
2000 Toro 223D Groundmaster w/Mitsubishi Diesel
2000 John Deere 4600
2003 MAGNUM Light Tower/6KW Generator w/Mitsubishi Diesel
2003 Mitsubishi Fuso Truck