best trans and gears??

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

beleive
Cetane Booster

best trans and gears??

Post by beleive »

just installed a 1.6 engine with turbo in 81 truck,make long story short my case is cracked,and rest of tranny not good.(poping out of gear and getting noisy)anyway probably endup getting on rebuilt like put the best setup I can in it,what trans would you go with and ring and pinion gear??After good fuel milage with out killing power,im running stock tire size.Oh yeah,runnning 5 speed.Thanks
Im brick mason,have loving wife and two awesome boys,and a risen savior
bscutt
Turbo Charger

Post by bscutt »

my FF 5 speed is a great transmission for my 82. I had a 7A in my 80 Rabbit which is very similar in gear ratios and also worked great. Nice setup for street and highway too.
Bob

'06 Jetta TDI
'82 Rabbit 1.6NA
Honda, 99 GMC Suburban, '41 Chevy Coupe
surfcam
Turbo Charger

Post by surfcam »

I went for the 3.67 final drive ratio. There's quite a few to choose from that are quite similar. I put an ACN in and swap the 5th gear for a .71. Running this ratio has increased my mileage about 5 to 7%. I think my power is off about 25%. In flat Southern Alberta with little traffic it works just fine. If your into busy or hilly freeways you will be it 4th a lot so you mys well go for a low ratio transmission.
99 TDI Jetta (Z1 engine code)
94 Grand Caravan
89 Dodge Gold Stream B class
http://www.antiquedollhouseofpatterns.ca/
dubdoc
Diesel Freak

Post by dubdoc »

DC Stewart
Milford Station
Nova Scotia, Canada
bscutt
Turbo Charger

Post by bscutt »

If you're going to carry anything in that truck you should have a 3.94 ratio. The slight difference in mileage will be offset by being able to get out of your own way.
Bob

'06 Jetta TDI
'82 Rabbit 1.6NA
Honda, 99 GMC Suburban, '41 Chevy Coupe
Bormie
Cetane Booster

Post by Bormie »

My FN works fine with n/a 1.6. I have to shift to 4th to climb large hills but cruise on flats or slight grades at 65-70 and get 46-49mpg. With your turbo hills shouldn't be an issue.
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

I was looking through the tranys in the link and the only 5-speeds with a 3.89 final drive are the Fs,...
FF, FO, FN, FH, FJ

and I see there is a close ratio group; FK, FM, FD.

It's between the slow on the highway 3.94 and
I've always wondered how well a trany with the 3.67 is when taking off from a stop with a load.
My Golf TD has an AGS, I really like it but didn't realise it has a 3.94 until now,... looking at the chart in the link. I didn't believe it but running 80mph through the calculator says RPMs are about 3500 and that sounds about right.
'91 Golf gasser converted to a 12mm pump, M-TDI.
'84 1.6TD Rabbit with a VNT-15 turbo, still setup to run on vegetable oil.
'84 GTI with 1.7TD pistons and intercooled.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
surfcam
Turbo Charger

Post by surfcam »

I pulled a small gutted out tent trailer with four pattern cabinets and 3000 sewing patterns with not very much difficulty. I pulled this load on 13 hour trip through the Rockies. I don't think first gear makes much difference. It doesn't take very long and your reving 3000. The gear that has issues is 5th. With 3.67 and .71 5th any wind or more that 5% grade and you are smoking. It's down to fourth and rev it to 55 pop it into 5th and she will do 60 to the next small hill. Or use 4th because it is the same as your 5th.
99 TDI Jetta (Z1 engine code)
94 Grand Caravan
89 Dodge Gold Stream B class
http://www.antiquedollhouseofpatterns.ca/