1.7 SDI engine and trans from VW Polo

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

Diesel_Rabbit
Diesel Freak

1.7 SDI engine and trans from VW Polo

Post by Diesel_Rabbit »

Someone on Ebay is selling a complete engine/trans from a VW Polo..1.7 diesel. Item 290389185816

Anyone know anything about these engines?

Would it be possible to put this into a 84 rabbit?

Downside would be diffilculty in getting parts when needed.
------------------------------------
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon 5sp, 135,000 mi
1984 Rabbit diesel, 240,000 mi, wvo conversion
1985 Yanmar YM146 diesel, 1650 hrs, wvo conversion
coke

Post by coke »

Back of the block is stamped "1.9DI". You can see this in one of hte pictures. It looks VERY similar to my father's 1.9L TDI. However, I do not see a turbo charger on the engine and it does have sime differences. I can't say for sure, but the block is certainly stamped 1.9L DI.
libbybapa
Turbo Charger

Post by libbybapa »

The 1.9s have the same piston diameter as the 1.7s they are just stroked. It would actually make sense that they would use the same block, just different crank and probably rods. SDI were all lacking turbos, thus the "S" instead of the "T".
82vdub
Turbo Charger

Post by 82vdub »

Anything is possible to fit into a Rabbit. However, the amount of custom work to get it all installed and working properly is the real big question. I would take a stab and say that it's probably very close to a bolt in installation (mechanical wise), likely having to custom make some mounts. Getting anything that touches the engine and trans to mate with some other vehicle is where the big unknowns exist and needs to be carefully thought out or this could turn into one big quagmire. Getting all the electronics to work, that's another story. If you aren't good at doing custom wiring from no manual, no reference vehicle that it came from and without any idea how the computer and related components are supposed to be wired and what they do, then don't tackle this. You will have to make your own custom wiring harnass to mate with 2000's technolgy in 1970's chassis.

If you had the complete donor car and was doing the swap yourself, you have the ability to do a lot of investigation in what is different between the two vehicles before you start. Otherwise, you will be custom installing a non factory engine into a vehicle that is ancient without any manual or reference materials.

In no means am I saying it's not possible, but if you're thinking it's going to be a plug and play installation, you'll be in for a surprise.
Everybody else lists their cars here - but not me.

I have too many to count
coke

Post by coke »

You could always put a mechanical pump on the engine and do away with the electronic one.

I see problems in the intake area. As far as transmission goes, your rabbit transmission should bolt up to it. (I'm no expert, but it should be similar to the TDI conversions for the older cars. Virtually identicle, except, you won't be fitting a turbo) As libbybapa pointed out, the 1.9 has the same piston diameter, as the 1.7, the 1.9 is just stroked. So, that might explain the 1.9L stamp on the block.

It would be interesting to put it in an older car. You should be able to get parts. It would probably still require some fabrication at some point, specifically, the motor mounts.