Old guy Old Rabbit---both Happy.

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

libbybapa
Turbo Charger

Post by libbybapa »

-
Last edited by libbybapa on Sun Jan 01, 2012 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
coke

Post by coke »

hagar, i've installed new injectors and nozzles. Rebuilds by bosch, purchased from Jack. My IP operates slightly different than yours. Mine has two detents, one for fast idle, and one for advance. So regardless, my engine speeds up when I pull the lever out, because that is how the car was designed to operate.
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Old guy Old Rabbit.

Post by hagar »

hagar, where in Canada do you live, exactly? ---- asked coke.

Lez zee now ---Bunny Bondos lair is on the Pacific Coast Highway (101) --you are on the Atlantc Coast. (Maine).

I absolutely love those northern Maine inshore LOBSTERS ----we have NO lobsters here. --(so far) -----ah , all those days in the northern Maine pine forest ---no people - no roads - just Moose , Deer ,Bears --what memories --- memories ? --yeah , that is all hagar got left. (wrong I have the Deer antlers mounted over the door here)

Pacific highway starts at the Mexican border , and ends at LUND .B.C. ---Bondo resides about 30 Km south.----hagars Valhalla..

My obsession is to help Rabbit owners with --eh lets say a very thin wallet. So even though I have every instrument known to man at my disposal ----I get a kick out of doing it the PRACTICAL way.----NOW ? I need NO --fancy Ductor made in UK costing thousands of dollars----etc . --BUT I sure love all those fancy instruments.----Kodak thermography--? EH ? ----The one where you have to carry a Thermos of liquid nitrogen. ---What a beauty for Rabbit diesels..It has a film-processor like a Polaroid.. If you have to drive a Rabbit to get your kids to a good College ? and you live in the land of the FREE ?-------you have my sympathy. --My advice ---? --give them the BEST that you can afford.

BUT remember ---NO USA college hands out one lousy SMARTS. ---only information.---OK NO College in this world.

In Danmark in my time , if you had the smarts ? UNIVERSITY was FREE ----and when you graduate you owe nothing.

Niels Bohr had the smarts --look up his biography.

hagar.
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Old guy Old Rabbit.

Post by hagar »

As an OLD flyboy --I just have to give my 2 cents Kanadian --about 5191 . ---yes I give my condolences if your family was involved.

The very minute I saw the accident I knew it was Pilot error and Controller sloppiness. Regan fired all ALL the experienced controllers ---what do we get ? a controller like this.
Lexington is a very tricky runway layout. 22 to 26 ? NUTS. Controller should have said taxi to position and HOLD.

Then look at the Radar and use binoculars to verify that 5191 was on the correct runway. --then say 5191 you are cleared for take-off.------I know about the paving and the upgrades and the many NOTAMS issued for months.-----easy mistake for a pilot to make.----I cry again.

I am a cry-boy (got it from my mother) and being that ----as a flyboy I cry a lot.---to name a few occasions ---Dachau camp , 9 11. and so on.
Under ICAO the buck stops in the left seat --the CAPTAIN.----- VW's ? oh yes make sure your Rabbit brakes work , so you do not kill a little 6 year old girl at a crosswalk---ever. I cry some more for EMMA. ---very bad case --very close to here and I know the family.--RIP --Emma.

She died a km from here . Her Farther was there before the ambulance ---to pick up his dead girl.

hagar.

PS : controller was alone in Tower ----early in the morning with no traffic ? what do you expect ? --EH ?.
who makes the coffee ?.
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

Niels Bohr had the smarts --look up his biography.
I don't know much about Niels Bohr but have this thought a day calendar page pinned to my wall and ponder it occasionally... between thoughts of VW diesels. :wink:
The opposite of a correct statement is a false statement.
But the opposite of a profound truth may well be another profound truth.

Niels Bohr

He sounds like a smart one to me.[/quote]
coke

Post by coke »

hagar - I am certain my timing advance in the pump isn't working. Not the cold start avance, but the timing advance. The pump has a lot of miles on it, and im sure nobody ever gave it the treatment it deserved. I re-read this entire thread, and from what I gather you are running your eco-diesel in a retarded position in in eco mode, which I assume means minimum fueling. I can do the same with mine, however, I do not think the timing advance is getting 24 degrees on the crank. I would imagine its more like, 22 or so. But I can't advance my pump any more than it already is. My pump is a lot different than the pumps you are used to dealing with.

Its the updated pump that started coming on the later a2 Jettas. The cold start advance acts as an idle booster to speed up warm up, residiual pump pressure is adjusted by the same screw which used to adjust idle, and idle is adjusted on the arm that controls the timing advance for the cold start. I'm not sure what else to do at this point. I do know when I run a quart of ATF with a full tank it seems to do better for mileage. I can't say for sure I saw a real difference with the parrafin wax. I think I have my smoke screw turned in too far as well.
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

pump timing

Post by Fatmobile »

Hey Coke, I have the same question as Andrew. Why can't you advance the timing any farther? It sounds to me like your timing is retarded too.
coke

Post by coke »

I suppose I could do that but my engine makes enough advanced noise as it is. It could be another problem. I have completely rebuilt injectors in it with new heat shields right now.
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Old guy Old Rabbit.

Post by hagar »

coke and ALL : --oh - oh I got caught with my pants down ----my hands on experience stops at 1984.

As soon as I study the VW fast idle system I shall get back to you.

hagar can fool around all day , but I know a lot of you have pressures like TIME and DOLLARS on your plates.

hagar.

PS : I do not laugh --like I used to.
dsm
Cetane Booster

Post by dsm »

Hagar, I been following this interesting thread so far hoping to gain some insight on setting my IP timing on the 81 PU.

Had to post today as I just had breakfast with an old Flyboy who use to work with the predecessor to NASA , the NACA.

This morning he was telling me about his 'test' crash in the Chesapeake Bay during the 40s. Interesting storys...
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Old guy Old Rabbit.

Post by hagar »

coke and ALL : a lot of towns and countries have favorite daughters and sons . ---SO ? well I grew up in København Danmark ---home of the little mermaid.----go for a walk along "Langelinie" --you will not miss her.-----she is the pride of my home town.
Germany lays claim to Rudolf Diesel ----do you blame them ? ---heck I wish he was a Dane.

Under proper " Hillbilly-TUNING " belt can not be out a tooth. ---but I agree with Andrew in Flagstaff AZ ---there should be all kinds of room for advancing the pump. And yes turn the ADA screw and the full load screw ---BOTH out to you see a marked reduction in power. ---then go from there.

hagar.

PS : and leave the ADA screw out as far as it goes.----there are no big rocks in your naborhood.
the highest road in my life was the Brenner Pass.--to get up there ? Bunny Bondo would have to use afterburner (LDA).
Quantum-man
Turbo Charger

Re: pump timing

Post by Quantum-man »

Fatmobile wrote:Hey Coke, I have the same question as Andrew. Why can't you advance the timing any farther? It sounds to me like your timing is retarded too.

No more advance? It's simply because of the reaching of the end of the slot in the IP pump bracket. Thus slip the clamped [on cam] belt off the IP pump and rotate pump sprocket anti clockwise one tooth then belt up and retard pump back from its 'stops' and carry on with pencilline advancement :D
"I'm not here to help... I'm here to Pro-Volke"

Be like meeee...Drive a Quantum TD
...The best work-horse after the cart...

Quantae grow on you...but Rabbits are like roses...
... girls like em ;o)

Only one Darwin, Einstein, Poe and Verne.
That is why if you listen, you will learn:
From the one and only Quantum-man,
Who sees the worms from outside of the can.

7 Quantae in 20 years; 4 dead and 3 TD's still alive [2 wagons & 1 fastback] oh and a GTD :o)
coke

Post by coke »

Where is this ADA screw you speak of Hagar? I have not seen it, only the fuel load/max load screw.
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Old guy Old Rabbit.

Post by hagar »

coke and ALL : ----my way of doing the ADA., it takes me a few minutes. --Pop the top of the ADA then remove control cone and diaphragm . then replace with a straight piece of rod to hold guide pin in place , so it can not move. Assemble and we can forget about AD fouling things up.

Toss this over to Mark Shepherd in UK --he is the one that got me started on the LDA. . According to BOSCH the LDA and the ADA are of identical construction. by the way Mark coined the word "Spaceship".

Guide pin may pop out ---easy to get back in hole. Before doing more use a can of Diesel-Purge.

hagar.
coke

Post by coke »

hagar, thanks for the tip. However, I don't feel comfortable doing this with out a more in depth response. What do you mean, replace with a straight piece of rod. Replace the cone with a straight piece of rod, or what? I just need a few more details.